Win 10 1607 update RRS feed

• Question

• Two of my client computers have now been updated to 1607.  One was happily connected to WHS and working correctly before the update. The update gave me a cryptic message of connector incompatibility.  After  the update, the WHS console, running on another computer, reported that this computer was off line.  Despite the offline status, the computer backed up to WHS without a problem.  After much tinkering, I decided to in-install and re-install the connector to see if this would resolve the issue.  I can see the SERVER on my network, and even run the connector setup software over the network, but setup does not work.  It always fails when it can NOT find the SERVER.  I have tried the http://(Serverf IP)/connect address, but this fails too..............  I went to my second updated PC which was never connected to WHS and attempted to install the connector software, but the install failed same as PC 1.  Can not find the SERVER.  "This operation can not be completed at this time."
    Saturday, August 6, 2016 3:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Make sure that client is on the same IP subnet as WHS 2011.

Download the Connector locally, right click it to open Properties – Compatibility – check the option “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select an earlier OS version.

Then, run it again and check the result. if the problem persists,  provide my the log files (such as ClientDeploy.log) which is located at “c:\program data\Microsoft\Windows Server\logs”.

You may upload your file to OneDrive(https://onedrive.live.com/), then, provide the shared link.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 3:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that two Windows 10 clients failed to re-connect to WHS after upgraded to 1607 version, Cannot find the SERVER with error "This operation cannot be completed at this time."

I would recommend you to have a confirmation:
    1. On problematic Windows 10, open Control Panel – Programs- Uninstall a program. Make sure that Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has been removed.
    2. On WHS, remove the computer from list of computers that are displayed on the Computers and Backup tab of the Dashboard.
    3. Have a reboot on the problematic Windows 10 and WHS. 
    4. Re-connect it to WHS and check the result.

Besides, try to disable IPv6 on Windows 10 if it is not in used. Also, you may manually add the WHS entry(IP and FQDN) to the hosts file which is located at “C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc” on the client side.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 8, 2016 7:21 AM
  • Thank you for looking into this problem.

In review of PC#2, this pc has never been connected so I can not un-install the connector software, or remove the PC from the console PC list.  I did attempt to "Find" the server using the http://(server IP) /connect option with the same results (Can no connect...)

I will try disabling IPv6 and see if this changes anything.

Monday, August 8, 2016 10:57 AM
  • PC#2 (Never connected to WHS): I have disabled IPv6 and got the same results.  The setup can not find the SERVER, even though the setup is running from the server.  Manual search for SERVER, or manual search for http://(server IP)/connect both end with ERROR this operation can not be completed at tis time...

It seems obvious that Microsoft has succeeded in breaking WHS 2011.

Monday, August 8, 2016 8:45 PM
  • Hi,

Make sure that client is on the same IP subnet as WHS 2011.

Download the Connector locally, right click it to open Properties – Compatibility – check the option “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select an earlier OS version.

Then, run it again and check the result. if the problem persists,  provide my the log files (such as ClientDeploy.log) which is located at “c:\program data\Microsoft\Windows Server\logs”.

You may upload your file to OneDrive(https://onedrive.live.com/), then, provide the shared link.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 3:03 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 6:09 AM