Feature Requests RRS feed

• General discussion

• After using WHS for a few days now I have 3 requests that stand out.

1) The ability to schedule backups to run at a given time per client computer (outside of the 12 - 6 window). Some people as myself work at night and therefore are on their computers at night.

2) Using the check box system (Vista has this option when selecting files) to select what files u do/dont want to backup. You can even use colored checks to indicate if all dir's and files are selected in a root folder selection, ie; I select c:\, the check is green to represent all tjhe subfolders and files are being backed up. If i de-select some folders/files the root check will turn yellow, orange, red (you get the point)

3) It would be very nice if the WHS backup agent could bring a client out of sleep mode, back it up and then send it back to sleep.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:22 AM

All replies

• all the points you have said are very valid and really i think this should be put in the fianl build. i think doing a complete backup everytime is more of a pain than a blessing. what if along the line you install some software that seriously cripples your system and a back up is made. i think the first installation on the client side should be made as a complete backup from there we should choose which workstation will either have a complete backup all the time or an incremental backup including folders and applications which should be backed up.  the incremenntal back up should be something like system restore where only essential files are backedup. as much as complete backups are a great thing microsoft should also pay attention that the avg pc laying around the place wil lhave b.n 60 - 100 gb of hard disk space. hardrives are not expensive but for the typical user they just want something that will work. just like the mac osx is not tht it's a fabulous sytem. it's because it just works when you want stuff to be done. i just wnat my stuff to work with out having to do unnecessary configuring. and those that might add that external drives are falling in price should also be aware that most people will not like the idea of just adding more space to a home server which is not directly accessible by the home user.

point number 3 that odesey made is a beautiful point. please please microsoft abuse wake-up-on lan features. it's been around for so long and noone really utilises it. wake my pc up check and see if i have enough battery or if its powered and do the back up. do not rely that my system has to be on all the time. my home server is powered by an intel core solo proccessor which is fantastic with power but my regualr system uses alot of power so chances are that i will put my system to sleep if i get up from my desk

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 5:51 PM
  • From what I understand about the backup process, each cluster of data on the PC is hashed to get a key.  Then the list of keys is transferred to the server and compared to clusters already stored on the server.  If another PC or that PC already had that cluster backed up, then all that gets transferred are the changed clusters.

What is neat about this method is that it is a hybrid between a full backup and an incremental backup.  In other words, each backup only moves data that has changed but each backup has a full list of all the clusters needed to restore any or all clusters.  Another side benefit is that if any PCs share clusters (which will often happen if they have similar OSes and applications or copies of the same documents) it is only stored once on the server.  This explains why my backup of four PCs is only taking a total of 30MB on the server even though they add up to more than that individually.

Here's a better description of the backup "magic":

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1214404&SiteID=50

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:08 PM
  • A Wake-On-Lan request thread was started at

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1223666&SiteID=50

Add some commentary please as it is a feature I would really like as well

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 10:15 PM
  •  odesey wrote:

1) The ability to schedule backups to run at a given time per client computer (outside of the 12 - 6 window). Some people as myself work at night and therefore are on their computers at night.

This does exist. It's and advanced option and you can change the times in the WHS Console by clicking on the two gears button near the top right.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:53 PM
  • Are you sure about the time feature being available "per client" ie; set the time for client A to backup from 2-7AM, client B from 6-11PM and so forth? Thanks for all teh responses thus far folks, hopefully the WHS team can get these features added  :-). I have one more observation so far but will start a new thread for it.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:16 PM
  • Ahh.. missed the "per client" in the initial post. Sorry. I believe the setting is just a general setting. I've only looked at the advanced options and haven't toyed with them much, except for enabling media sharing.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:21 PM