Forced to manually add programs to OneCare's Allow/Block Programs list RRS feed

• Question

• Lately, when a program changes (for example a new version of Internet Explorer), that program fails to connect to the internet. I do not get the window from OneCare that asks me if I want to block or allow. If I turn off the firewall (ugh!) the program works correctly. If I manually add the program then it starts to work until the next time it gets updated. This is not specific to any one program, it has happened with Internet Explorer, Outlook, Firefox, Windows Home Server, and iTunes.

I have "Notify me when the "firewall blocks an application" and "Always ask me whether to block or allow programs" enabled.

I have tried re-installing OneCare from the web (version 2.5.2900.03), and prior to that I tried "Restore Defaults" from the firewall's advanced settings.

I have two other PCs running OneCare and they don't seem to be affected by this problem.

This problem started a few weeks ago. Any suggestions on what to try to get OneCare working properly again?

Thanks ... Mike
    Monday, July 28, 2008 2:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• I can only suggest resetting the database: 

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

However, you already did that by reinstalling.

So, the other suggestion is to contact support, Mike.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, July 28, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Thanks Steve, I'll give that a try.

Mike
    Monday, July 28, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Hi Mike,  I know it's been a long time since you wrote this post about your OneCare firewall problem, but I am having the EXACT same issue currently with OneCare and was hoping to know how you resolved your problem.  Microsoft Support has not been helpful.

Thanks,
    Connie
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Connie, have you tried the database reset as described above?
    What are your firewall options set to?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:58 AM
  • I need help also, but my problem is OneCare will not allow me to add "II7 Remote Adminstrator 7" to the Allow/Block list.  For some reason it say it cannot fine the program when I try to add it like this: %SystemRoot%\System32\inetsrv\InetMgr.exe

and

it will not show the program in the "Open" list DialogBox so I can add it.

Why is this?
    Code is like a box of chacolates
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:11 AM
  • I need help also, but my problem is OneCare will not allow me to add "II7 Remote Adminstrator 7" to the Allow/Block list.  For some reason it say it cannot fine the program when I try to add it like this: %SystemRoot%\System32\inetsrv\InetMgr.exe

and

it will not show the program in the "Open" list DialogBox so I can add it.

Why is this?
    Code is like a box of chacolates

Do you have hidden and system files shown in Explorer options? If so, and you are still unable to add it, I recommend contacting support:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Monday, May 11, 2009 11:52 AM
  • I resolved the issue by using the database reset tool, but had to run it twice even after uninstalling and reinstalling the program.

Friday, May 15, 2009 8:04 PM
  • I resolved the issue by using the database reset tool, but had to run it twice even after uninstalling and reinstalling the program.

Thanks for providing the solution for your case.
    -steve
    Sunday, May 17, 2009 11:50 PM