ntldr missing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a biostar motherboard and p4 1.8 ghz cpu. Also an hp dvd drive. all worked well with XP. When I try to load the WHS .iso disk I get the ntldr missing. I assume my mobo doesn't support dvd. Does anyone know a workaround. Biostar doesn't have an update for this board.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 2:49 PM

Answers

• no good. I already set the bios to boot from cd on all options and it would not load the disk. I have already spent $200.00 in hardware and approx. 40 hours in trying to implement it. I Do not want to participate bad enough to invest more of either. Thanks for everyone's ideas.

I finally found out you have to convert the .iso file to an image. DOH.!!! I will try it one more time this weekend.

Finally it loads. I must have read past the part about the image conversion. Thank you all for the help.

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:17 PM

All replies

• Not sure,  when I had this error, I believe I had to reinstall the os (WinXp). Here is a link for ntldr missing problems.

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:18 PM
  • Check in the BIOS that it is booting to the right drive. If its booting to the wrong drive or a blank drive you will get that error
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 3:57 PM
  • I am trying to install WHS on a brand new spanking 300 Gig Drive. I do have the bios set to boot from the DVD drive and It recognized the restore CD I used to verify drive availability but not the DVD disk.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 4:19 PM
  • it could be that the DVD drive doesn't like the type of disc you have burned the ISO to
    What type of DVD disc did you use?
    Or it could have been a bad burn.
    What software did you use to burn the disc?
    or the make of the disc
    i would re burn it
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 4:56 PM
  • I used an HP dvd+r disk in an HP dvd writer and am reading it with an HP dvd drive.

I will try to download and reburn it at a slower speed. I am using Sonic Record now to burn.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 7:50 PM
  • that sounds ok to me.
    the hard drive is it a sata or IDE?
    if IDE are the jumpers and cable positions ok?
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 9:03 PM
  • Drive is IDE and all is good. I just Installed xp on the drive with no glitches. I will redo the WHS .iso

when I get time. Then try it again. Probably next weekend.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 10:56 PM
  • ok
    hope it works fine
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 11:00 PM
  • 1. Just copy ntldr file from another computer with XP or 2003 server. Nothing more

2. make sure your HDD is good (or memory). Very rarery - south bridge.

3. boot from from DVD with os 2003, 2000 or XP

select repair with console -

a) chkdsk

b) fixboot

c) fixmbr

Monday, March 5, 2007 10:13 PM
  • This was a new blank formatted hard drive. I installed winXP and the WHS .iso still gives me the same error. If this is indeed an OS It should Load without other software being installed. I think the .iso is bad. I can't spend more time on it until the weekend.   ,Thanks
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 11:44 PM
  • It's not clear when you are getting that message.  If it's when you are booting off the DVD with the server image on it, then it could very well be the disk type.  Just because they are both HP drives doesn't mean they both read the same disk types.  Most burners will burn - or + disks. But many DVDROM drives will only read + disks.  You may have a had time finding the specs on what your reader supports, but you'll have to verify that you have the correct disk type if the DVDROM drive in your server is a single disk type.  I had that exact issue beta testing Vista.  One of the laptops I was using had a non-origional dvd drive.  The dell laptop shipped with a drive that read +R disks.  But it had failed and been repaired with a spare from another machine that only read -R disks.  I had to pull the drive out of the carrier to get the real part number to check specs on. 

If the issue is occuring after you have installed WHS onto the machine and it's supposed to be restarting from data on the hard disks, then the suggestions for fixing with the Repair function on a windows installer disk should help.  But, and there always is one.  If that part of the data from the DVD is bad, other data is likely to be bad to, so an eventual redownload or reburn is a real good idea.

Friday, March 9, 2007 2:56 PM
  • I get the message instantly when booting from the DVD. Both drives use + disks and the .iso is on a +disk. The drive will read other +disks. All HP drives will use + disks and some newer will use eirher+/-. HP has never made a DVD drive that uses only - disks. I still plan on downloading the file again and reburning it slower.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 5:33 PM
  • "Setup may hang if your DVD drive is configured as a secondary on a bus that has no primary."

From P.6 of Release_Documents.....just a thought.

Paul 

Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:37 PM
  • It is primary. I am in the process of downloading the file again. Thanks
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Today I used the computer I had planned to be the server and downloaded the WHS file for the third time. I then went to bustbuy and purchased a copy of Roxio sooftware. I burned a new dvd+r disk at 2.4x using the drive it will install from. I then again tried to do the install. Computer checks the drive on power up and the jumps to the hard drive and boots windows ( it is set in bios to boot from cd first) What I cannot see is why the Windows XP DVD will boot in the drive but not this file. Frustrating!!!
    Monday, March 12, 2007 1:45 AM
  • try disconnecting all the hard drives and see if the computer tries to boot to the drive with the WHS
    but im running out of ideas.
    does the disc boot in other computers?
    Monday, March 12, 2007 4:41 PM
  • no good. I already set the bios to boot from cd on all options and it would not load the disk. I have already spent $200.00 in hardware and approx. 40 hours in trying to implement it. I Do not want to participate bad enough to invest more of either. Thanks for everyone's ideas.

I finally found out you have to convert the .iso file to an image. DOH.!!! I will try it one more time this weekend.

Finally it loads. I must have read past the part about the image conversion. Thank you all for the help.

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:17 PM