Adding a second harddrive RRS feed

• Question

• I have designated a machine with a 120 Gb and a 250 Gb harddrive as my Windows Home server. I wanted to install the OS on the first drive, and keep the data on the second drive.

During the first setup attempt, I saw that it wanted to format both drives. (I had no option for "upgrade", only "new installation"). I ended up cancelling that setup, turned of the machine, and unplugged the 250 Gb drive.

I then restarted the computer, ran the setup from the DVD, and installed Home Server. It installed just fine, created the 10 Gb SYS (C:) drive and a 110 Gb DATA (D:) drive.

I then added the second harddrive, and the system came back up awarding it the E: drive. I went to server storage and noticed it was not added to the system as storage. Adding it to server storage would mean reformatting, so I decided to copy the 100 Gb+ of data that I had stored on it to my main workstation first, and then formatting it. And so it was done.

After it was done it told me It had 344 Gb of server storage available, yet all the shares were on the 110 Gb D: partition. I found out that the 250 gb drive was available under c:\fs\d as a mounted folder, and I was also able to award it a drive letter using Disk Manager.

I am unable though to move any of the default shares to the E: partition. There are 5 default shares I believe, all of which point to the 110 Gb partition. I can share the drive MANUALLY using the Windows method, but I had expected I could add a new share in the Server Console and point it to a folder on the newly formatted drive.

I am considering re-installing tonight with both drives attached to see if that works better. But is there a better way of adding the drive to the server storage so I can actually use it for shares etc?

Friday, March 2, 2007 6:22 PM

Answers

• Aparently we do not need to go here :)

I just poked around with disk manager and it shows 17gb free total 3 drives.  C system, D, and the one I added.

Console shows 47gb free..........

I suppose the answer for now is be dumb and do not use any of the neat stuff we know how to do.  Leave the box headless and use the wizzards :)

Still......Grey

Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:27 AM
  •  maartena wrote:

dysan1558 wrote:
    I had a similar issue as you do....you don't add the drive the old fasion way under the disk management...what you need to do is unmap it there and open the "Home Server Console" and go into the "Server Storage" option on the top. In there you should see all your hard drives and just select the new drive you just installed and there will be a button that will turn white "+Add". Just click that and it will walk you through the process.

Thats exactly what I did. Server Storage formatted the drive, added it to storage, etc. But when i create a new share the share will still say that it has 110 Gb of space available, not the 110+250 I should have had.

I did not add the drive letter until much later just to test if I could do a manual workaround.

Your issue is due to a known bug in WHS. The reported free space only shows the current amount of free space on your installation drive. It is highly recommended that when using WHS in Beta 2, due to this known bug, that you install WHS to your largest hard drive.

When copying from XP, this isn't as big of a deal, because you can keep copying so long as a single file isn't larger than your total D free space, but on Vista it pre-calculates the total space needed for a group file copy operation. If you haven't got very far into your installation/testing, you probably want to rebuild with the 250 GB drive as your primary drive.

By the way, the "OS on Disk 0, Data on Disk 1" setup is a very common one, and one that I've often used, but that notion has to be re-examined in this new system.  Since you can't detach a data disk in the event of system failure like you can on a standard build, that methodology doesn't work with WHS.  You're best off just thinking off all the disks as data disks.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:35 AM
  • The share will show only the free space in the data partition on your primary drive, I'm afraid. Also, there's a limitation in WHS at this time that you can't copy more data at one go than the available space on that partition.

As for using Disk Management, you shouldn't do that. The release documentation warns that you should use only the WHS disk management tools, and the warning on the page that you're presented with when you start up the WHS desktop is even more dire. Using Disk Management has an extremely high probability of breaking Drive Extender, the WHS technology that manages balancing and duplication across your storage pool.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:40 AM

All replies

• Due to how WHS works it's magic with the drives you never want to copy any files to D:\ and you need to unmap your E:\ drive.  Althou it looks like all your shares are pointing to D:\ trust me, the magic works. 

Everything should be copied to \\server\share.  If you start copying things to the D:\ and E:\ drives the smart drive expansion system will get confused and the share replication system will be all out of wack.

Even if your on the home server console, copy everything to \\server\share.

Friday, March 2, 2007 7:24 PM
  • The problem is though, that if I map to \\server\sharename on my Vista workstation, it reports that that share only has 110 Gb of free space. I rebooted a number of times, but I never seem to get more then the 110 Gb of space that the default shares have been using since I installed it.

How do i know the 250 Gb drive I added is actually being used? Do I just need to copy 120+ Gb to it, and see if it sticks?

Even before I manually added the E: drive letter to the drive, I never had more then 110 Gb anywhere, EXCEPT in the server storage console window. It would seem to me that if I have 250 Gb more, that it should report 350+ Gb of free space on \\server\sharename and it does not....

Friday, March 2, 2007 8:27 PM
  • I had a similar issue as you do....you don't add the drive the old fasion way under the disk management...what you need to do is unmap it there and open the "Home Server Console" and go into the "Server Storage" option on the top.  In there you should see all your hard drives and just select the new drive you just installed and there will be a button that will turn white "+Add".  Just click that and it will walk you through the process.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 9:42 PM
  •  dysan1558 wrote:
    I had a similar issue as you do....you don't add the drive the old fasion way under the disk management...what you need to do is unmap it there and open the "Home Server Console" and go into the "Server Storage" option on the top.  In there you should see all your hard drives and just select the new drive you just installed and there will be a button that will turn white "+Add".  Just click that and it will walk you through the process.

Thats exactly what I did. Server Storage formatted the drive, added it to storage, etc. But when i create a new share the share will still say that it has 110 Gb of space available, not the 110+250 I should have had.

I did not add the drive letter until much later just to test if I could do a manual workaround.

Friday, March 2, 2007 10:04 PM
  • Aparently we do not need to go here :)

I just poked around with disk manager and it shows 17gb free total 3 drives.  C system, D, and the one I added.

Console shows 47gb free..........

I suppose the answer for now is be dumb and do not use any of the neat stuff we know how to do.  Leave the box headless and use the wizzards :)

Still......Grey

Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:27 AM
  •  maartena wrote:

dysan1558 wrote:
    I had a similar issue as you do....you don't add the drive the old fasion way under the disk management...what you need to do is unmap it there and open the "Home Server Console" and go into the "Server Storage" option on the top. In there you should see all your hard drives and just select the new drive you just installed and there will be a button that will turn white "+Add". Just click that and it will walk you through the process.

Your issue is due to a known bug in WHS. The reported free space only shows the current amount of free space on your installation drive. It is highly recommended that when using WHS in Beta 2, due to this known bug, that you install WHS to your largest hard drive.

When copying from XP, this isn't as big of a deal, because you can keep copying so long as a single file isn't larger than your total D free space, but on Vista it pre-calculates the total space needed for a group file copy operation. If you haven't got very far into your installation/testing, you probably want to rebuild with the 250 GB drive as your primary drive.

By the way, the "OS on Disk 0, Data on Disk 1" setup is a very common one, and one that I've often used, but that notion has to be re-examined in this new system.  Since you can't detach a data disk in the event of system failure like you can on a standard build, that methodology doesn't work with WHS.  You're best off just thinking off all the disks as data disks.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:35 AM
  • The share will show only the free space in the data partition on your primary drive, I'm afraid. Also, there's a limitation in WHS at this time that you can't copy more data at one go than the available space on that partition.

As for using Disk Management, you shouldn't do that. The release documentation warns that you should use only the WHS disk management tools, and the warning on the page that you're presented with when you start up the WHS desktop is even more dire. Using Disk Management has an extremely high probability of breaking Drive Extender, the WHS technology that manages balancing and duplication across your storage pool.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:40 AM