Windows Home Server File Restore RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I wanted to know if there was a way to restore individual files from a backup to another computer.  My wife has alot of pictures and stuff on her computer.  She is having computer issues and I wanted to do a fresh install of OS and then try to restore files individually back to her computer.  I also wanted to view backups from one computer and restore files from that backup on another computer.  How would one go about restoring files if they had a client computer crash and wanted to do a fresh install instead of full restore.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:28 PM

Answers

• Hello

I wanted to know if there was a way to restore individual files from a backup to another computer.  My wife has alot of pictures and stuff on her computer.  She is having computer issues and I wanted to do a fresh install of OS and then try to restore files individually back to her computer.  I also wanted to view backups from one computer and restore files from that backup on another computer.  How would one go about restoring files if they had a client computer crash and wanted to do a fresh install instead of full restore.

Hi,

Please see the technical brief for backup and restore. You can do a single file restore on another computer. If you have the space you might consider copying the data on your wife's computer to a share using a tool like robocopy and then copying back to the new install rather than using restore. Restore works great for a crash but for speed, copying the files beforehand is better.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:44 PM