none
Local Area Connection Keeps Dropping

Question

• I notice that my Local Area Connection to the network (gigabit) keeps dropping then reconnecting. Any idea what's going on with this? This is only happening with WHS.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 8:50 PM

Answers

• Had a similar issue with my D-Link GigaBit switch/Router. I had to turn off the Routing / DHCP features on the D-Link and use another Router for my WAN connection.

Latest firmware from D-Link fixed the issue, now I'm back to a single box..
    Friday, May 25, 2007 7:00 PM

All replies

• The most obvious possiblities would be (in percieved order of ease of testing out):

1. Bad Port on switch - move to another known working at gigabit port

2. Bad Cable* - Could work fine at 100mbit but have problems at 1000mbit

3. Problem with auto speed detection - try changing the NIC configuration to be fixed at 1000 if it's set to auto

4. Bad NIC - Try out another one if you have it available

5. Bad driver - sort of the same as #3 but maybe you can get an updated driver from the vendor

I hope this help find it.
    Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:01 PM
  • I had the same problem initially when I set up WHS. Everything looked OK but mine kept failing when trying to run a backup.

My first setup was using wireless cards in the WHS and client PCs due to location of the cable modem and router. As soon as I recabled everything to use copper instead of wireless all the problems were resolved. Although you are already on a wired connection I guess the similarities between our issues could come back to the driver issues suggested by HLaRoux.

Thursday, May 24, 2007 9:12 PM
  • Had a similar issue with my D-Link GigaBit switch/Router. I had to turn off the Routing / DHCP features on the D-Link and use another Router for my WAN connection.

Latest firmware from D-Link fixed the issue, now I'm back to a single box..
    Friday, May 25, 2007 7:00 PM
  • Thanks...I replaced the network card and still had the same problem so I then replaced the D-Link Switch. Interestingly enough when I checked the forum I purchase this stuff from there were a number of people with connect/reconnect problems with D-Link 8 port gigabit switch so perhaps it is a common problem. Anyway, I went with Netgear copper and not a problem so far. Thanks for your help.
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 9:25 PM
  • 1. right click computer
    2. manage 
    3. Device manager - double click
    4. network adapters 
    5. Nvidia nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet (i am using nforce 15.51 Ethernet drivers atm) right click
    6. Properties for the adapter that you are using be it one or two
    7. Advanced 
    8. Receive Side Scaling - (disabled!!!!!! not enabled) this is most important.

Enjoy :D

Monday, September 20, 2010 3:26 AM
  • I am going to assume you are not getting automatically redirected to a "go.microsoft.com/ " address.

Have you disconnected any devices from your LAN recently? Access your router settings, make sure any box asking to show Inactive Devices is checked, then delete the Inactive Device if your router software gives you that option. If it doesn't, reset the router to the factory defaults and set up your LAN from scratch. The Hidden Device will be gone and so will your connection drops.
    • Proposed as answer by DavidB6061 Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:03 PM
    Thursday, July 28, 2016 6:02 PM