WSH 6.0, Non-Redundant: Replacing Drive Possible Without Losing Array? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using this WSH box as a backup for a NAS device.

The array does not provide redundancy and the drives are getting pretty close to maxed out.

I might be able to shoehorn another drive into the box with the right SATA card, but would rather not go there.

The Question:

Can I remove, say, a 500-gig drive; copy that drives contents to a 2-TB drive, and then put the 2-TB drive in it's place and still have the data?

I am not optimistic.... but it seems like an issue to settle before I just wipe everything and spend 2 days restoring it.

-- PeteCresswell

• Edited by PeteCress Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:48 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:47 PM

Answers

• You say "the array"; if you're using some form of RAID, you need to consult the documentation for it, as RAID isn't part of Windows Home Server. If you're not using RAID, and you're using Windows Home Server V1:

• Connect the new drive using a USB bridge device. (search NewEgg for "usb bridge drive" and you'll find more than you can shake a stick at)
    • Add the new drive to server storage using the console.
    • Remove the old drive from storage using the console.
    • Shut your server down
    • Disconnect and remove the old drive.
    • Install the new drive internally.
    • Boot your server.

If you're using Windows Home Server 2011, it's a similar process, except once you've attached the drive and designated it for server storage, you will use the dashboard to move each share off of the old drive you want to remove onto the new drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:12 AM