File sharing error for .mny file RRS feed

• Question

• On my desktop computer I am running Windows 7 and Microsoft Money Deluxe (Sunset version).  I have shared the folder this file resides in with my Home Group and other files within this folder (i.e. Excel, Word) are accessible and useable on my laptop which is connected via WiFi to our home network.  However, when I attempt to launch Microsoft Money and open my portfolio.mny file, I get an error message that says, "Money cannot locate '\\homenetwork\users\Tom\Documents\Datafiles\folder\my portfolio or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file or you do not have permission to change it or your disk drive is write protected....."

I can see the file in Windows Explorer on my laptop, but Money won't open it.  I have triple checked the file's sharing capabilities on my desktop where the file physically resides and it is showing shared and has Read/Write access in the Home Group.

What am I missing that will not allow this file to be opened on my laptop shared connection?

Thank you in advance for your help on this issue.

Tom

Monday, September 3, 2012 2:53 PM

All replies

• You are not attempting to have a Money file open simultaneously in two computers, are you? Do not do so.

Can a network user create a new file in that folder? You could test that out with Notepad or any other program that can create a new file. See if a user at the other computer can delete files in your folder that holds the .mny file. Test that out by creating a new file in the subject folder using Notepad. Then delete that file from the other computer. Money needs to be able to create and delete files in the folder where the Money file is located.

Monday, September 3, 2012 3:56 PM
  • The file is not open or accessed on another computer, but you are right about permission to create a file and save in this directory.  I am new to "home networking", but I want to give the entire home group Read access to this directory, but I only wanted to allow individual access for Read/Write to me.  The group permission for the Home Group is Read, if I change that to Read/Write I can change files in the directory where my Money file resides, but Money will not recognize the permission for the file.  I have changed the individual share parameters for the file to be Read/Write for the Home Group, but it still will not allow this file to be opened.

Thomas M. Tomlinson, CPA

Monday, September 3, 2012 4:46 PM
  • Digging deeper, when I look at the file using the Microsoft Tool -- click Start - Click User - and then navigate to the file, I see the file named but the icon in front of the name has a lock over the Money icon.  On the security tab for this file it shows Read/Write access to System, Tom (me on the desktop computer), and the Administrator on the home computer.  How do I allow access to Tom when connected through the network?

Thank you for your help!

Thomas M. Tomlinson, CPA

Monday, September 3, 2012 5:14 PM