File Conflicts RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I am really getting pissed off with WHS.

After over a week of trying to copy large movie files, I finally got them over to the new drives (internal and external attached storage).  I had created a new Shared Folder called Movies.  I started getting a File Conflict error with The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

It listed 2 movie files.  I initially set the folder to duplicate (it did once) but took most of the resources so I removed duplication and deleted the ones in the DE directory.  I then moved the files to the Video directory figuring something was wrong with the Movies share.  Still same error.  So I deleted the two movie directories (and files).  Now I am getting the same error with new movie directories.

I have the Disk Management Add-in installed and it shows all the drives as healthy and operational.

What is going on?

I also upgraded to PP3 this morning.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 5:38 PM

Answers

• Ok, I have done the Memory Check and CHKDSK which were normal.  Are there any other tools that I could use to find the issue?  Is there something to scan the IRQ's for conflicts?

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    Schannel
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    36870
    Date:        10/21/2009
    Time:        12:13:26 PM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    FAMILY
    Description:
    A fatal error occurred when attempting to access the SSL server credential private key. The error code returned from the cryptographic module is 0x6.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    • Marked as answer by BFry24 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:22 PM

All replies

so I removed duplication and deleted the ones in the DE directory.  I then moved the files to the Video directory figuring something was wrong with the Movies share.  Still same error.  So I deleted the two movie directories (and files).  Now I am getting the same error with new movie directories.
    How are you interacting with the files on your server again? Only through \\<servername>\<sharename>, right? (On the server \\localhost\<sharename> is equivalent.)

That's the only supported method, and it's the only one that won't cause a variety of problems. For the specific files and folders that are returning this error, if you did anything (especially delete or rename them) in <drive>:\DE\Shares\etc., that's the likely source of your issue. For possible resolution, please see this FAQ.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:09 PM
  • You are correct with how the files are being interacted.

The FAQ (which I did read) tells me to delete them.  THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.  It has taken me over 9 months to put the DVD's on to the HDD.  The initial setup was running Vista with individual drives.  I purchased the TowerRaid to run a RAID 5 so that I do not loose them incase of a HDD failure.  After getting the Tower, I decided to use WHS.  It does not accept RAID.  I deleted the RAID and added the drives to the pool.  Copying the large files was (is) an issue (another tread).

There has to be another way besides deleting them.  Do I just copy the folder back to the DE directory?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 6:16 PM
  • You are correct with how the files are being interacted.

The FAQ (which I did read) tells me to delete them.  THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.  It has taken me over 9 months to put the DVD's on to the HDD.  The initial setup was running Vista with individual drives.  I purchased the TowerRaid to run a RAID 5 so that I do not loose them incase of a HDD failure.  After getting the Tower, I decided to use WHS.  It does not accept RAID.  I deleted the RAID and added the drives to the pool.  Copying the large files was (is) an issue (another tread).

There has to be another way besides deleting them.  Do I just copy the folder back to the DE directory?
    No, you can't do that.  Besides, based on your error message, the actual files are already gone (which, considering you deleted data from the hidden DE folders, is not a surprise).  The only part left (which is why you're getting the "The group or resource..." error) is the tombstones, which is why the FAQ says to delete them in the first place (because they are only pointers, not real data).

At this point, the best option is a Server Reinstallation.  It will wipe the OS partition, but leave whatever data you have left in tact and rebuild the tombstones based on whatever data it finds in the DE folders.  The other option (if you still have the actual data somewhere) would be to copy back to your server through the network share.
    Friday, October 16, 2009 11:56 PM
  • The files (movies) are still on the drives, some will run on a media pc, some I get a DVD Error.  I tried the server reinstall, but the folder still shows failing.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 6:27 PM
  • The files (movies) are still on the drives, some will run on a media pc, some I get a DVD Error.  I tried the server reinstall, but the folder still shows failing.
    You say the files are still on the drives, but where are you looking when you see them?  If you are looking at the shares (i.e. \\server\videos), those are not the actual files (only "tombstones").
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:10 PM
  • They are in the d:\shares\movies.  The same directory as the Video, Music, Public, etc.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:23 PM
  • They are in the d:\shares\movies.  The same directory as the Video, Music, Public, etc.

Same thing.  Those are only tombtstones, not actual data files.  As I said, the actual data files are most likely gone (which is why you're getting the "The group or resource..." error message).  You could try looking for (and recovering) the data on the secondary drives by following the steps in the FAQ post:  How to recover data after server failure.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:27 PM
  • I guess I do not understand.  If these are tombstones, then why are they visible in the directory that I copied them to, and why would 3 of my HDD's be full (Disk Manager)?
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 2:11 PM
  • I guess I do not understand.  If these are tombstones, then why are they visible in the directory that I copied them to, and why would 3 of my HDD's be full (Disk Manager)?
    The tombstones would still be visible in D:\shares, even when the real data has been deleted in the DE folders (which is what you said you did).  The problem now is the tombstone is pointing to nothing (since the data in DE is not there any more) and that's why you're now getting File Conflict errors.  As for why your drives are full, I don't know what happened and what's on them now.  That's why I suggested a Server Reinstallation.  It will recreate whatever tombstones are needed (based on whatever data is left on the other drives).  If nothing else, you can always disconnect each drive, hook them up to a client and see what's in the hidden DE folders (again, that's the real data).  Although, reading again through this post, I just realized that you haven't run chkdsk on your drives yet (which might be what initially caused everything to go downhill).  You should probably start with that.  Make sure you run it on all of the drives.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to do that.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 11:26 PM
  • I did the chkdsk and no errors were reported.. The only files that I have on WHS is the movie files (besides the OS).  I did take one drive out and put it into another machine but could not access it.  Kept getting "Drive Not Ready".

I am running a program now called WHS Cleanup.  It has been running since 8:17AM and only up the G's right now.  It shows some files with invalide file handles and others that says it's ok.

Guess will see in the morning when it is done.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 12:24 AM
  • I did the chkdsk and no errors were reported.. The only files that I have on WHS is the movie files (besides the OS).  I did take one drive out and put it into another machine but could not access it.  Kept getting "Drive Not Ready".

That's a huge red flag.  WHS uses the NTFS file system for the drives.  So unless you connected it to a client that isn't NTFS (which nowadays that seems unlikely), that hard drive is probably the culprit.  Did you run the script I linked you to for chkdsk?  In other words, did you run it on all of the drives?  (If you did it yourself from a command prompt with something like "chkdsk d: /r", that would only check the D partition on the primary drive, not the other drives in your server.)

I am running a program now called WHS Cleanup.  It has been running since 8:17AM and only up the G's right now.  It shows some files with invalide file handles and others that says it's ok.

Guess will see in the morning when it is done.

Monday, October 19, 2009 2:58 AM
  • I ran chkdsk, no issues.  I deleted all of the files listed at conflicts.  Added the additional drives to the pool and everything looked clean.  I deleted the onboard RAID controller thinkg that it was conflicting with the RAID Card (no raid is not enabled).

System still freezes and/or reboots, no BSOD.  The last freeze and hard reset, the system did a disk scan.  Now I have three files, sorry six now listed as "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation" .

At this rate, all my movie files will end up like these. I have gone to the directory it states, the files are there AND THEY PLAY.

What else can it be and how do I get ride if this file conflict message?????

Seems to be an issue with the file c:\windows\system32\drivers\Nwlnkipx .sys

When the BSOD happened this morning, I went to the event log and the issue pointed to this file.  There was a hotfix from the Microsoft site, but once I downloaded it and installed, it stated that the upgrade on the computer was higher they the fix trying to update.

Ideas?
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:45 AM
  • Hello?? Any other Ideas on this?  The event log now shows another fatal error on schannel..
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:13 PM
  • We have said this before, but my feeling is that you have either a hardware problem or a driver problem. It's very difficult to sort this type of issue out at a distance, unfortunately. In the end, the answer may be to replace your current hardware...

Regarding the schannel error, can you copy/paste the text of the error?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:13 PM
  • Ok, I have done the Memory Check and CHKDSK which were normal.  Are there any other tools that I could use to find the issue?  Is there something to scan the IRQ's for conflicts?

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    Schannel
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    36870
    Date:        10/21/2009
    Time:        12:13:26 PM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    FAMILY
    Description:
    A fatal error occurred when attempting to access the SSL server credential private key. The error code returned from the cryptographic module is 0x6.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    • Marked as answer by BFry24 Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:22 PM