HP MediaSmart Serve Webshare Oddities RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am happly using the new HP Media Smart Server.  The backup features are outstanding and the realitve easy with which I got the server working on my network with a domain name and websshare up and running was also impressive.

However, when I try to share photos or videos I have a fairly minor nit that is driving me crazy.

I have uploaded all of my photos to the "photos" share on the server.  Therefore one would think that it would not be necessary to re-copy them again when sharing them in Photo Webshare.  However from what I can tell this is not the case.  When I create a new album it opens a browser on my local machine which I then point to a mounted share (on the media smart server) I believe this means that the photos are actually copied twice (back down to my computer and then back up to the server).  Worse this means that there are actually two copies of everything (the copy in the photo share and the copy that webshare is serving up).  It seems that there ought to be some way to just point to the photos on the share and bring them into or link them to webshare.  Obviously this is 10 times more important for videos!!!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Monday, December 17, 2007 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi, although I don't have an HP, I can sort of understand the reasoning.

The Webshare is available to anyone who can connect via the Internet, while your shared folders aren't. Therefore, there would be a security problem if you gave anyone direct access to your shared folders. Also, maybe you don't want every single photo to be available to the net visitors, while your shared folders are the ones used for storage and safety, (if you have duplication enabled).

Colin

Monday, December 17, 2007 5:43 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I agree with you but my point is that it is crazy to have to move the files twice - i.e. there ought to be a way to point webshare at a file on the server such that you minimize network traffic (even if it internally copies the files to a different space).

Peter

Monday, December 17, 2007 6:36 PM
  • I guess I really need a webshare forum as my issues really are with the HP add-in but so far I have not been able to find one.

I tried sharing Videos last night and was pretty disapointed.  When I clicked on the video from the internet my only option was to "save" it.  I.e. there was no way to play it from the web site using webshare.  You can stream video from the mediasmart server to other computers in your home (seems to me to be a fancy way of just playing media player from a share) but there does not apear to be a way to "stream" thru webshare.

Regarding my original problem I decided that I am going to post a unique photo to a brand new website and see where it is directory wise on the server.  With luck I should then be able to copy a bunch of new photos into the same directory and then easy add them to the share without copying accross the network every time.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:40 PM
  • Thanks for bringing up this topic - I have an EX470 and the same opinion:  photos that are stored in the photo share (likely categorized and organized by an applicaiton like Picasa already) should be quickly available for addition to a photo album to someone logged in with an account with access to that share to add them to a webshare. 

It seems like an obvious feature but if it's not added, I'd like to see an Add-In for taking Picasa photos and managing them on the file-share and making it easy to create pages from them on a Picasa webshare of sorts...

Guess I'm asking for a lot but I spend good time tweaking and categorizing my picasa photo colleciton and don't want to have to do it again...

Saturday, January 5, 2008 11:10 PM