Homegroup settings overriding shared folder permissions? RRS feed

• Question

• I keep losing permissions to my shared folders on Vail; everything will be working fine and then I'll realize that (for example) I can no longer write to my Music folder. After some experimentation it seems that my permissions are based on what the homegroup permissions are, not on my individual permissions. I've looked through some of the other posts regarding similar situations and haven't really found an answer - is this a common situation and is there a solution for it?

Monday, May 17, 2010 1:43 AM

Answers

• I tend to agree with you that it's not obvious how homegroup permissions play against share permissions. Would you perhaps consider submitting a bug report for this on Connect ?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 17, 2010 2:42 AM

All replies

• I tend to agree with you that it's not obvious how homegroup permissions play against share permissions. Would you perhaps consider submitting a bug report for this on Connect ?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, May 17, 2010 2:42 AM
  • I keep losing permissions to my shared folders on Vail; everything will be working fine and then I'll realize that (for example) I can no longer write to my Music folder. After some experimentation it seems that my permissions are based on what the homegroup permissions are, not on my individual permissions. I've looked through some of the other posts regarding similar situations and haven't really found an answer - is this a common situation and is there a solution for it?

I have been told that homegroup settings do overide shared folder permissions currently.  When you log into Launchpad the permissions are "fixed".  See here for the bug I filed:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/556306/single-client-machine-looses-access-to-shared-folders

Hopefully this will be taken care of by Microsoft prior to RTM.  I do not think logging into Launchpad should be required.  User credentials on client / server should take precedence regardless of homegroup setting.

Regards,

Chad

• Edited by crwagner Monday, May 17, 2010 4:41 AM remove incorrect statement.
    Monday, May 17, 2010 4:28 AM
  • This is not something we’re planning on “fixing” prior to the release.  the HomeGroup security credentials inside Windows 7 that’s already shipped updates in a lazy fashion at some point after the homegroup is connected to.  As a result, the best we can do is “fix it” after it’s happened.  We’ve told the HomeGroup team about this and we are hoping for a fix in future versions of Windows, but it so far hasn’t met the bar for a Service Pack.

the launchpad provides a lot of value outside of the sign-in. I strongly suggest trying it, it’ll probably make your life easier.  :)

Hope this helps.
       Sean

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    "crwagner" wrote in message news:ea5f5a39-8e16-4092-84da-71fab89c0f9f...

I keep losing permissions to my shared folders on Vail; everything will be working fine and then I'll realize that (for example) I can no longer write to my Music folder. After some experimentation it seems that my permissions are based on what the homegroup permissions are, not on my individual permissions. I've looked through some of the other posts regarding similar situations and haven't really found an answer - is this a common situation and is there a solution for it?

I have been told that homegroup settings do overide shared folder permissions currently.  When you log into Launchpad the permissions are "fixed".  See here for the bug I filed:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/556306/single-client-machine-looses-access-to-shared-folders

Hopefully this will be taken care of by Microsoft prior to RTM.  I do not think logging into Launchpad should be required.  User credentials on client / server should take precedence regardless of homegroup setting.

Regards,

Chad

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:26 PM
  • Hi Sean,

I am actually using the launchpad, but even when I log in with the launchpad the Homegroup settings are still overriding the shared folders. I've fixed this for my purposes by disconnecting the Vail machine from the Homegroup; since all of the shares I would access through the Homegroup are being shared through the server as well it seemed somewhat redundant to have it in the Homegroup...

Sean

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:29 PM
  • I have noticed this as well.  I installed the Vail beta after it was released and initially thought I had configured something incorrectly.  I installed the RC last week and still see the issue and after some tinkering I also realized that Homegroup permissions were overriding share permissions, very annoying.  This might not be a big deal for some users, they may just want to turn on shares for the entire household will read only or read/write; however, I'm betting that most of the community running WHS are tech savvy enthusiasts who are familiar with how this works and will find Homegroup integration nearly futile because of this issue.

Monday, February 21, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Same issue here.  Sounds like running Launchpad is the solution.  That's a little easier to tolerate if the Launchpad dialog didn't show it's window every time when it is set to run at startup.  Launchpad certainly has value, but I (or any other user account on the PC) don't need to see the window after every log in.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:04 PM
  • I was pulling my bleeping hair out with this problem.  Thank you for investigating and sharing your findings with us. Is there any scenario where one would use Homegroups with Vail?
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:45 PM
  • I've stumbled across this problem recently and I am currently running WHS 2011 RTM.    My experience is that HomeGroup permissions are overriding all USer permissions.  It doesn't seem to matter whether you browse to the share with Explorer or use the LaunchPad.   I get the same result.   No access.

Turning off Homegroups in WHS does seem to be the way to go as I have yet to figure out how to use them effectively.   They aren't granular enough for a start, so I'm thinking this wasn't meant for the "enthusiast" user.

Sunday, May 1, 2011 7:48 AM