Firewall enhancement planned? RRS feed

• Question

• Every time a program tries to connect to the internet for the first time and OneCare Firewall asks if I want to allow it to connect I'm getting an error message (from the program) before I'm able to choose "allow". Other Firewalls don't have this problem - when Comodo for example asks for the first time the program doesn't react until I choose "block" or "allow". Are you planning to fix this in version 2.5?
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 2:42 PM

Answers

• This, unfortunately (in my opinion), is the way that OneCare works by design. An unknown application will be blocked outright. Once you allow the application, you typically need to restart the application that needs network access.

-steve

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:35 PM

All replies

• This, unfortunately (in my opinion), is the way that OneCare works by design. An unknown application will be blocked outright. Once you allow the application, you typically need to restart the application that needs network access.

-steve

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:35 PM
  • I know that I need to restart the application or click "try again" a few times if available but it would be great if I wouldn't have to since this is the of the most annoying point concerning OneCare Firewall.

Comodo or ZA block an unknown application
    outright too but without letting the application know that it doesn't have network access (i.e. nothing happens (no error message but also no connection)).

It would really be great if OneCare could work this way too.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:52 PM
  • I guess that I should have said that I agree with you. :-) I did say, "unfortunately."

I've actually complained about this since the earliest release of OneCare.

-steve

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Yeah, I got that . But since I'm beta tester of 2.5 I just wanted to say what I think about it. (I hope this is the right place to post this.)
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:10 PM
  • I'm sorry I bothered you here. I should have posted this on OneCare's Connect website right away. Have a nice day!
    Wednesday, April 16, 2008 8:31 AM
  • No bother. :-) The behavior is current in 2.0 and has existed since 1.0, so it is a valid discussion!

-steve

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:43 PM