Cannot import Sample Data with the Dynamics CRM Migration Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm new to Microsoft Dynamics CRM. I installed it (On-Premise Edition) on a Windows Server 2008 R2 server 64 bit and wanted to install the Sample data to see how everything works. The SQL server is Microsoft SQL Server 2008. So I made a new organisation called "Demo". After some trouble installing the Data Migration Manager I finally had it installed.

I selected the right SQL server and the right organisation, then when I tried to import the Sampledatamap.xml file it stops near the end with the following error(original error is in dutch, im translating it to english):

The file contains a list value that is not specified in Microsoft Dynamics CRM: lead, industry code, 32. Fix this inconsistency, and import the data directory again.

I really have no clue what to do!

It does seem though that the Data Miration Tool installs Microsoft SQL Server 2005 on my system. Isn't there a more recent version that support SQL Server 2008?

Some help would be greatly appreciated!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 9:44 AM

Answers

• According to this article, the sample data should work for Dutch language.  Migrating data into CRM requires some knowlege about the application in order to troubleshoot issues.  Have a look at this tutorial for using the Data Migration manager.  You might want to consider getting a little help to get started with the application.  A consultant will probably be able to help you with this in just a few hours time.

The initial error appears to indicate an issue with the attribute Industry Code on the Lead entity.  You can check the picklist values on that entity and see if there is a value associated with # 32 in the picklist.  Also, when you import the data, be sure the checkbox for allowing the import to update your system with attributes, attribute values is selected.  I forget the exact wording associated with the checkbox but basically you are allowing the system to make customization changes to the entity if needed in order to import the data.

In your first post you referenced some issues with installing the Data Migration Manager.  If the application did not install correctly, you could have unexpected results when trying to import data.  Please ensure the Migration Manager is installed correctly.  You can setup a simple csv file to test it with just one record.  Create a file that contains the required fields for your Lead entity and try importing that one record.

Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:00 PM

All replies

• Did you mapped all the fields. Did you follow the steps here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/4/9/e49567e6-3479-44f3-a02a-99eb779db221/Microsoft_Dynamics_CRM_4.0_Sample_Data_Readme_version_4.0.2.htm

Data Migration Manager by default is install SQL 2005 Express for data migration purposes but later it can be deleted (after migration).

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:23 AM
  • Did you mapped all the fields. Did you follow the steps here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/4/9/e49567e6-3479-44f3-a02a-99eb779db221/Microsoft_Dynamics_CRM_4.0_Sample_Data_Readme_version_4.0.2.htm

Data Migration Manager by default is install SQL 2005 Express for data migration purposes but later it can be deleted (after migration).

My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com

What do you exactly mean by mapping all the fields?

I have read through the file and was planning to use the fastest method:

Fastest. While installing the sample data, map all of the fictitious users to the person who is doing the install. This takes less time during migration, but makes it difficult to demonstrate and teach the security features of Microsoft Dynamics CRM.

Since it was just for demo purposes, I didn't want to make 12 fictitious users in my active directory.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:58 AM
  • Also, the file says the following:

Important:  U.S. English sample data is designed for U.S. English Microsoft Dynamics CRM deployments with Organization and User settings of English (US).

Does this mean that the Sample data wont work on a Dutch version?

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:01 PM
  • According to this article, the sample data should work for Dutch language.  Migrating data into CRM requires some knowlege about the application in order to troubleshoot issues.  Have a look at this tutorial for using the Data Migration manager.  You might want to consider getting a little help to get started with the application.  A consultant will probably be able to help you with this in just a few hours time.

The initial error appears to indicate an issue with the attribute Industry Code on the Lead entity.  You can check the picklist values on that entity and see if there is a value associated with # 32 in the picklist.  Also, when you import the data, be sure the checkbox for allowing the import to update your system with attributes, attribute values is selected.  I forget the exact wording associated with the checkbox but basically you are allowing the system to make customization changes to the entity if needed in order to import the data.

In your first post you referenced some issues with installing the Data Migration Manager.  If the application did not install correctly, you could have unexpected results when trying to import data.  Please ensure the Migration Manager is installed correctly.  You can setup a simple csv file to test it with just one record.  Create a file that contains the required fields for your Lead entity and try importing that one record.

Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:00 PM