Hard Drive Limit? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a limit to the number of hard drives that can be added to the storage pool?  Right now I have 5 drives that are 500gb each.  I just returned from my local retailer with another 500gb drive.  I stuck it in the computer, powered up, and it found it ok.  I then fired up the console from a client machine and started to ADD it to the pool.  After about 5 minutes, my consol taskbar icon turned RED saying there was a critical error.  WHS Console showed it was at 100% finished.  Then it crapped out with an error message, telling me it failed and asking if I wanted to try again.  If I try again, the same thing happens.  I've tried to swap the drive cable, and the location on the port on the motherbaord.  The computer see's the drive fine.  Am I experiencing a drive limitation, or is my hard drive bad?  What should I do?

Friday, April 25, 2008 6:30 AM

Answers

• I seem to recall someone having over 20 drives in a box once!

Its not a limitation on the number of drives - I would suggest plugging the drive into a different machine and consider running the drive diagnostics for that particular drive manufacturer and see if that helps.

Andrew

Friday, April 25, 2008 8:19 AM

All replies

• I seem to recall someone having over 20 drives in a box once!

Its not a limitation on the number of drives - I would suggest plugging the drive into a different machine and consider running the drive diagnostics for that particular drive manufacturer and see if that helps.

Andrew

Friday, April 25, 2008 8:19 AM
  •  

I have a Dell PowerEdge 400SC server with a PC Power and Cooling 450watt PS. I'm running the following disks:

- 500GB WD SATA (Sys/Data)

- 500GB WD SATA (Data)

- 500GB Seagate IDE (Data)

- 500GB WD IDE (Data)

- 250GB WD IDE (Data)

- 250GB WD IDE (Data)

- 400GB Seagate IDE on Promise ATA/133 card (DATA)

- 250GB WD IDE on Promise ATA/133 card (DATA)

3.6GB internal disk total storage, duplication turned on. The CPU is a 2.8GHz hyper-threaded P4 with 2GB ECC RAM. No problems running WHS in this configuration

I also hook up 3 or 4 external 1394/USB2 hard drives, whatever is available at the time...

I've had up to 14 hard drives installed at once... no problems as long as the power supply will handle it!

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 5:59 PM
  • So far all of the drives are running well and the server is stable. The premium power supply and adequate cooling are key for the stability of the server!
    Art Zasadny
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:15 PM