A six month extention? Now, what's with that? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Yup.  I got my official e-mail this morning.  OneCare was supposed to die for me in April; but I'm told today that there will be a six month extention ... which leads me to believe that the replacement solution (the new free antivirus combined, I guess, with directions on how to manually do other stuff OneCare does--oh, and let's not forget the crappy one-way Windows firewall that's supposed to replace the two-way firewall on OneCare), isn't quite ready yet.

I am not being filled with confidence.
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 2:21 PM

All replies

• I can't tell you the specific reason for the continued extensions, but it isn't because MSE is not ready. Microsoft Security Essentials has been in production and getting excellent reviews since last Fall, Balt221. I honestly don't know the reason, but suspect that it is simply because it allows those who like OneCare to continue to use it as long as they desire - since the back end that supports OneCare is in place and will be through the end of the year.
    You can choose to switch to Microsoft Security Essentials at any time. Simply uninstall OneCare, which enables the Windows Firewall. Run the cleanup tool just to be sure that OneCare is fully gone, then install MSE from the official download page: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
    As for the "extras" provided by OneCare, that depends on the OS you are using. Defrag and Cleanup are manual and available in XP, Vista, and 7. Defrag happens in the background anyway in Vista and 7. Backup is Windows Backup, which is a much better experience in 7, less so in Vista. The is no multi-PC management in MSE. Wireless Security and Printer Sharing will need to be configured manually, and this gets easier and easier in each successive version of Windows.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Also remember that though OneCare is still receiving updates to the anti-malware engine and definitions, everything else about the program has been at a standstill for over a year now.  Though this hasn't caused any issues, it is an aging program and so from a security standpoint Microsoft Security Essentials is a more advanced program.

As we've been discussing both here and much more in the MSE Answers forums, MSE is also designed specifically to work in tandem with the Windows firewall, so it still monitors the network traffic for malware activity similar to how the OneCare firewall did, it simply doesn't act as a firewall itself and leaves that to the Windows firewall.  This way it doesn't have all of the configuration and other issues with blocking valid programs that OneCare did, but it still provides the key network protection and as a side effect is even quieter than OneCare during normal operation.

It's easy to choose to focus on the loss of OneCare and its other features, but I prefer to spend my time looking ahead to the improvements in protection and simplification of operation MSE brings.  The only thing that really needs any attention are the specific features that Steve mentioned that were really being used in your case to determine how that will be replaced when switching to MSE.

Rob
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:06 PM
  • I am just very confused about what is happening. Windows Live One Care is the only security system I have used that was effective and efficient. We use it to protect and manage 3 in home computers on a wireless network,

I purchased AVG for three systems, 2 year-3 computer, but have not installed yet. If Microsoft has a workable successor to Live One Care I would like to use it, but the messages from MS seem to say they don't have such a system?

Has anyone experience with Essentials?

Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Many people have experience with MSE. It has been highly rated n reviews. As noted above, the extras in OneCare are not part of MSE.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 5:57 PM