Service Pack 3 RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded service Pack3 last month & it shut my computer down. I have used my restore disc, onecare back up discs and system restore. The computer just freezes up at "Please wait".

Sunday, August 3, 2008 8:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can get help with Service Pack 3 installation and compatibility issues here - https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11273&gprid=522131

Sunday, August 3, 2008 10:56 PM
  • Putting aside the reason for the problem, do you mean that you have restored the PC with your manufacturer's restore set to factory fresh condition? How does System Restore play into this?

Where is the "please wait" message coming from? Is this happening when you are trying to restore your data from the OneCare backup or have you already done that and the message is coming from another attempt at updating to SP3?

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 5:28 PM
  • I had an auto update that failed in June, 2008 x 2.  I initially contacted MS by phone.  It took hours to be told that the person needed to hand me over to a higher grade rep.  Since then, I have worked with 2 reps by e-mail.  The first finally decided that I had to be helped by another higher grade rep.  The last one actually had a disc sent to me after some time had elapsed (I should note that illness and bad weather were I am helped protract the time involved) and I thought, "Saved at last!"  Wrong!!! The disc failed to install properly and uninstalled itself ... leaving more probs on my PC.  So more repair time spent and my PC is still not what it was before the auto download last June.  The MS folks I have dealt with were polite.  I am not certain if language problems might have been a factor in following all of their instructions.  I was told that the disc would resolve my problems and make my PC whole again.  It is with regret that I have to say that is not the case.  I am disabled and my PC is important to me especially in terms of communication and research.  Having a machine that has slowed down considerably and does not always work as well as it did does not help.  I sincerely hope that we all get our "SP3"

problems resolved.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:16 AM