none
70-642 Do I get a Cert RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all

Iam very confused and i would really appreciate it if anyone knows and can answer me this question

I passed 2 days ago the 70-642 exam (microsoft server 2008) .After passing this exam microsoft send me an email and i was able to sign up to the forum and have my acount.I can see now in my mcp acount the transcript where i can see that i passed the exam but what i would really  like to know is when i will get the certificate.I have read that it is not required to pass all 3 exams to get the certificate, Microsoft  do give a certificate for only passing this individual exam.have anyone passed the exam?what is now the procedure?do i have to do something to get the certificate?   

Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:11 PM

Answers

• Hi, NIK0LASCHE.

First off, congratulations on passing the exam! By passing the 70-642 exam before February 1, 2014, you have earned the title
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuration

Each MCTS certification title is earned by passing a specific exam.

If this was your first passed exam, you have also earned the title Microsoft Certified Professional

You are on your way to getting your MCSA: Windows Server 2008, which you can earn by passing the exams 70-640 and 70-646.

Microsoft doesn't send out paper certificates any more unless you order them. That's their idea of "going green."

Looking at your transcript, you should see two (2) certification titles. It may take a few more days for the new titles to appear on your transcript.

Not all certification exams include new certification titles. Some are just meant to be passed with other exams to earn a new title.

If the new MCTS certification title does not appear on your transcript, you can contact your Microsoft Regional Service Center. Their email address is mcphelp@microsoft.com

You can also call them on the phone. Please use the following web page to find the correct contact information for help.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/help.aspx

Have your MCP ID, Prometric ID (found on your printed exam results), and your printed 70-642 exam results ready.

This web page includes email and phone contact information for your geographic location so you can email or call them directly. They will help you get this figured out.

NOTE: This public forum is usually monitored by fellow IT professionals like you and me but not by Microsoft employees.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Saturday, February 1, 2014 10:59 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I don't think they post them out automatically these days, however if you login to the MCP site - https://www.microsoft.com/learning/members/en/us/mcp/mcp-default.aspx - you can view your transcript and also access any certificates you have available. The certificates are at https://mcp.microsoft.com/transcriptandcertificate/certificatemanagerpage.aspx and allow you to either download a PDF / XPS copy of your certificates, or to order a paper copy of one.
    Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:23 PM
  • thank you so much for your quick reply.actually i just wanted to be sure that i will get the certificate and not only the transcript. 

when iam trying to access the   "Download or Purchace a certificate"   it doesnt appear anything .is that just a matter of time or the only thing they give is this transcript wich says that i passed the exam?

Is an individual certificate for 70-642 exam or do i have to pass also the 70-640 and 70-646? 

Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:33 PM
  • According to the details on the MCP site it can take 7 days before your exam to appear on your transcript so that probably explains why you aren't seeing anything. Once it appears on your transcript I believe any certificates that are available should be listed.

Looking at my own transcript and seeing which ones are available for download, it looks like the certificates are only available for certifications, but individual exams. That said, if this is your first exam I imagine you'll find you've achieved MCTS which you can download, and when you pass the remaining exams required for your intended certification then that will be available as well.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 8:43 PM
  • Hi, NIK0LASCHE.

First off, congratulations on passing the exam! By passing the 70-642 exam before February 1, 2014, you have earned the title
    MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuration

Each MCTS certification title is earned by passing a specific exam.

If this was your first passed exam, you have also earned the title Microsoft Certified Professional

You are on your way to getting your MCSA: Windows Server 2008, which you can earn by passing the exams 70-640 and 70-646.

Microsoft doesn't send out paper certificates any more unless you order them. That's their idea of "going green."

Looking at your transcript, you should see two (2) certification titles. It may take a few more days for the new titles to appear on your transcript.

Not all certification exams include new certification titles. Some are just meant to be passed with other exams to earn a new title.

If the new MCTS certification title does not appear on your transcript, you can contact your Microsoft Regional Service Center. Their email address is mcphelp@microsoft.com

You can also call them on the phone. Please use the following web page to find the correct contact information for help.
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/help.aspx

Have your MCP ID, Prometric ID (found on your printed exam results), and your printed 70-642 exam results ready.

This web page includes email and phone contact information for your geographic location so you can email or call them directly. They will help you get this figured out.

NOTE: This public forum is usually monitored by fellow IT professionals like you and me but not by Microsoft employees.

Good luck!

Saturday, February 1, 2014 10:59 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Davin,

If the 70-642 exam is passed after 1 Feb what is earned?

I'm just confused as I'm due to sit my 70-642 in the middle of Feb.

Will I still receive MCTS status for the 70-640 and 642 and then MCSA when I pass the 70-646

Thanks

Lee

Monday, February 3, 2014 4:48 PM
  • If the 70-642 exam is passed after 1 Feb what is earned?

Nothing is earned for just passing any one of the exams (70-640, 70-642, 70-643) after February 1, 2014. However, if you had passed 70-640 or 70-642 before February 1, 2014, each of these exams would have given you an individual MCTS certification title. The Windows 2008 MCTS titles were marked unattainable (retired) on February 1, 2014.

Here are the three (3) Windows Server 2008 MCTS certification titles that were retired February 1, 2014:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcts-certification.aspx#item-ID0EBAAAAACA

You must pass 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 to earn the MCSA: Windows Server 2008. None of these exams are scheduled for retirement - just the MCTS certification titles that went with the exams.

Here is the MCSA: 2008 certification description:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsa-windows-server-2008-certification.aspx

By the way - 70-643 was retired on February 1, 2014 because it does not count towards any premiere (MCSA, MCSE) certification title.

Yes - you will earn your MCSA: Windows Server 2008 when you have passed all three exams (70-640, 70-642, 70-646).

I'm just confused as I'm due to sit my 70-642 in the middle of Feb.
    Will I still receive MCTS status for the 70-640 and 642 and then MCSA when I pass the 70-646.

I was a little confused when you said this because in your original post, you stated you had already passed 70-642 two days ago. I assume you meant 70-640.

If you meant 70-640 or 70-642 in your question, then the answer is NO - you will not earn its associated MCTS certification. The MCTS certifications could only be earned on a "per exam" basis. However, it will still count towards your MCSA: Windows 2008.

Good luck!

Monday, February 3, 2014 7:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Davin,

Once my 2003 MCP expires in April will I still keep the title of MCP following the passing on the 70-640?

Kind Regards

Lee

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:41 AM
  • Yes - you will keep your MCP certification.

Please note that your certification titles are never retired. Instead they are eventually marked as Legacy certifications, which (in my opinion) sounds a whole lot better. There is a separate Legacy section on your transcript.

Your MCP may be moved to Legacy status if all your other certifications are moved to Legacy.

However, passing any current exam will either earn you another MCP or update your current MCP.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:52 PM
    Answerer