Genuine Windows XP Professional? RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a computer from a fellow co-worker about 2 years ago.  Everything was fine until today.  Now I get a message that my XP may be counterfeit.  Here is the details.  Any help would be appreciated.

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-W6Q28-B3VDG-CTX9C
    Windows Product Key Hash: ObVIR2n/FhI5KfjTJAelrehi/dQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-642-4406923-23156
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: K85N436
    ID: {5B44AA3F-E2E0-4CB0-AEF9-D73406B57BE6}
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.526.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 114
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: http=localhost:8080
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32; AT&T CSM6.0)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{5B44AA3F-E2E0-4CB0-AEF9-D73406B57BE6}</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CTX9C</PKey><PID>55274-642-4406923-23156</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1202660629-152049171-1957994488</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Computer Corporation</Manufacturer><Model>XPST550</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>A11</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="1"/><Date>20001013000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>4DF23AE701841569</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17041</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 1:28 AM

Answers

• Laurie PM:

Unfortunately both your Windows XP and Office are not genuine.  Both are volume license keys and have been blocked.  I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I would recommend heading to the original purchaser to get the issue resolved.

Thanks,

Greg

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 9:14 PM
  • Cynic,

IME the cheapest method for getting a valid license for XP Home (the least expensive edition and fine for almost all Home users) is to look for the sales on XP Home Upgrade edition, and then use the CD from a previous version of Windows to satisfy Setup's need to see "qualifying media."

Again, our locations are different, but this week in the USA, a nationwide computer retailer called CompUSA is retailing XP Home Upgrade for $49.99 after rebate. 

(Two weeks ago another major office supplies retailer had the same sale, and a week before that another big name consumer electronics retailer had the same sale.)

To install this on a computer, you have to have a previous version of Windows (W98, W98SE, WMe) installed on the computer, or, you have to have a CD for one of those to insert when Setup tells you to.  If you asked around, I'm sure one of your friends or relatives would have one of those CDs collecting dust somewhere.  The result would be a perfectly legitimate installation of XP Home edition for $50.  It costs more than $50 to buy some distributions of so-called "free" Linux!

And don't get me started on W!!!!  LOL

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:59 PM
    Sunday, May 28, 2006 2:07 PM

All replies

• Your computer failed validation because the XP installation on it is a "corporate version" using a blocked (expired, counterfeit, compromised, etc) Volume Licensing Key (VLK), which are generally used by large organizations and not sold to individuals.

The first line says so:  Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK

What happened is that at some point during the computer's life, someone installed a VLK copy of XP, and that VLK license has expired or is no longer valid.

The good news is that your Dell almost certainly came from Dell with a licensed Windows Operating System.  Look on the computer chassis to find the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity, which will tell you which version of (presumably) XP the computer is already licensed to run.  If there is no COA, look for the Dell Service Tag sticker and enter the Service Tag into the page below, then choose Original System Configuration in box #2 to find out which version of Windows shipped with your computer.

http://support.dell.com/

If the COA and/or the Original System Config tool says the computer came with a copy of Windows, you do not need to buy another copy of XP or an XP license; now it is a matter of getting the correct media to install the correct OS onto the computer.

Many Dell computers shipped after mid-July, 2004 have a hidden partition on the hard disk drive that contains the necessary programs and data to reimage the hard disk back to out-of-the-box condition, and once that's taken place, your computer is guaranteed to pass Windows Validation.  To see if yours has the hidden partition, restart the computer and at the Dell logo, press and hold CTRL, then press F11, then release both simltaneously.  If you are taken to Dell PC Restore by Symantec, you can recover the computer to factory condition by following the prompts.  Just beware that this procedure erases EVERYTHING from the user partition on the hard disk, so back up all of your stuff before you follow the prompts.

If the computer is too old to have this recovery function, then you will want to contact Dell to purchase a set of Operating System Reinstallation CDs, which are priced very low, around $20-35.  If for some reason Dell does not have what you need, quite often Dell Operating System ReInstallation CDs can be bought on eBay or similar sites.  Just be sure that these are Genuine Dell OS Reinstallation CDs before you buy.  The seller should tell you what model of Dell the CDs will support.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 2:30 AM
  • If you wish to retain all your currently installed programs, consider purchasing locally a "Full Version" of Windows XP Professional, then download and run the "Windows Product Key Update Tool".  This tool will change the non-genuine Product Key to the genuine Product Key that you purchase.

The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key - all without a reinstall!

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409  

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 7:54 PM
  • This is all too confusing.  I believe my computer has a valid copy of Windows XP pro.  I can not afford nor do I know why I should have to purchase another copy of Windows.
    Tuesday, May 23, 2006 8:45 PM
  • Laurie PM:

Unfortunately both your Windows XP and Office are not genuine.  Both are volume license keys and have been blocked.  I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but I would recommend heading to the original purchaser to get the issue resolved.

Thanks,

Greg

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 9:14 PM
  • You probably do not have to buy another copy of XP.

Did you read my post above?

Enter your Dell Service Tag into support.dell.com and choose original system configuration to find out what XP came with the computer.  The computer is STILL LICENSED to run that version.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 1:45 AM
  • Volume Licence Keys!!   Now, I have just run the diag programme and find that I get the following:-

WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK         This, I assume, means a Volume Licence Key.
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6HGFG-CWMMD-V2C62
    Windows Product Key Hash: 0XDIO8IERAGnf96C9n42CTn30yo=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-648-8199924-23193
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: T7M7FW9
    ID: bfa511a5-16d8-4d35-8f6d-db59411caeaa
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.526.0.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 102
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\UTILIT~1\MOZILLA\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Allowed
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Prompt
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>bfa511a5-16d8-4d35-8f6d-db59411caeaa</UGUID><Version>1.5.0530.2</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-V2C62</PKey><PID>55274-648-8199924-23193</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1409082233-1004336348-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>MSI</Manufacturer><Model>MS-7028</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>V1.5</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20041020000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>1FB33FD70184EE73</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Cen. Australia Standard Time(GMT+09:30)</TimeZone></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>102</Result><Products><Product GUID="{92110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>4C98E175F8ED2EC</Val><Hash>B/oLUHaTrozdL6dUkcRrpXpnwQU=</Hash><Pid>54186-801-5978141-17523</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  
    Now, there's the rub.   Could this VLK have been purchased by the retailer or, perhaps, stolen by him for use on all the machines he sold?   As I said in a post elsewhere, the retailer of my machine has gone into "liquidation"   [permanently if I ever come across him] and hence I am out on a limb with, I believe, Microsoft holding a very big saw at the other end!   Where does that leave me?  Not very happy for starters but I guess with no help from anyone.  
    Friday, May 26, 2006 9:22 AM
  • Cynic,

Assumption:  you purchased the computer from a smaller local or online merchant and the computer came with XP Preinstalled.  Now, as it turns out, the copy of XP currently installed on the computer is XP Pro with a VLK and is therefore not a good installation.

Does the computer have a Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the side, back, top, or with a laptop, the bottom of the computer?  If so and this is a genuine COA, it's very likely the computer is STILL licensed to run the version of Windows on the COA.  It is not licensed to run the version currently installed.

If you have a COA, tell us which Windows is listed on it.  Also, state if the COA has "OEM Software" printed on it, or if it has the manufacturer's name on it.  DO NOT post the product key.

If you have a COA with OEM Software printed on it, you should have received at purchase a genuine MS hologram copy of XP (Home or Pro, to match the COA).

Post back and let us know.

Friday, May 26, 2006 4:01 PM
  • Correct. I purchased the computer from a small business located in a shop. I believe it was one of the club known as a "fly-by-night" dealer.
    No, as I stated elsewhere, I do not have a COA, a CD and now, after this length of time, a receipt! Hence I am unable to take part in the current offers. Now, all of this is, in part, due to action, or rather, the lack of action, on the part of Microsoft!
    A number of years ago my son-in-law purchase a computer from a reseller. That computer had Windows installed on it. My son-in-law, at a later date, asked for the disc for the OS and was told that it would cost extra. He was also told that he had not paid for the Windows OS and was therefore not entitled to a disc! I took this matter up with Microsoft Australia stating that I thought it was an example of piracy. Microsoft Australia, after some time of deliberation [and perhaps putting the whole thing in the "too hard" basket] informed me that what the reseller was doing was quite legal! My son-in-law had to revert to a copy of '98 that he had which was not so satisfactory. Now, it would appear, I have been the victim of what is actually an illegal act condoned by Microsoft Australia. I also realise that I was a little unfair in saying I would be paying Microsoft twice for the same programme. Of course, Microsoft would not have received any payment from the reseller who pocketed the whole OS payment. Still, not a satisfactory outcome from my point of view. Luckily, or not, from whatever point of view, I was able to keep a copy of the product key from the computer so was able to use another disc to re-install with the same number. Didn't really help did it?
    BTW I do not have a Dell.   I never have had a Dell.   I never will have a Dell!
    Saturday, May 27, 2006 9:04 AM
  • The post I made about Dells was for another poster, Laurie.

Different countries do have different laws.  All I can tell you is that here in the USA it is illegal to sell a computer with a pirated operating system.

Now that you know the copy of XP installed on your computer is a pirated copy, why don't you do the right thing and get a genuine copy?

Saturday, May 27, 2006 3:30 PM
  • Sorry, I was not aware that your post was for another user.
    I am aware of the law differences. In Australia it is illegal for a mentally sick person to become Head of State - unlike the US - where it appears to be a pre-requisite.
    I still think Microsoft Australia didn't investigate properly either due to incompetence or inertia.
    I do not know that my copy of Windows is pirated - only what Microsoft tells me. I assume that the vendor used a Volume Licence Key - which Microsoft have deemed illegal - after the event!
    If my copy is illegal then I would love to do the "right thing" if, by that, you mean obtain another "genuine over-priced copy of Windows" and not shoot George "Wanker". Since my pension precludes paying another $238 Australian for such can I assume that you, in your punctiliousness, are willing to make a generous donation to the expense?
    Odd isn't it that Microsoft makes no contribution to many of these posts in the form of a response?
    Sunday, May 28, 2006 5:01 AM
  • I had a similar problem... I purchased my computer from someone else and then had to take it to a computer tech to reinstall my entire system.  I don't know what was put on it, but my question is if I do the kit - will that delete my existing documents?

Lisa

Sunday, May 28, 2006 5:58 AM
  • Cynic,

IME the cheapest method for getting a valid license for XP Home (the least expensive edition and fine for almost all Home users) is to look for the sales on XP Home Upgrade edition, and then use the CD from a previous version of Windows to satisfy Setup's need to see "qualifying media."

Again, our locations are different, but this week in the USA, a nationwide computer retailer called CompUSA is retailing XP Home Upgrade for $49.99 after rebate. 

(Two weeks ago another major office supplies retailer had the same sale, and a week before that another big name consumer electronics retailer had the same sale.)

To install this on a computer, you have to have a previous version of Windows (W98, W98SE, WMe) installed on the computer, or, you have to have a CD for one of those to insert when Setup tells you to.  If you asked around, I'm sure one of your friends or relatives would have one of those CDs collecting dust somewhere.  The result would be a perfectly legitimate installation of XP Home edition for $50.  It costs more than $50 to buy some distributions of so-called "free" Linux!

And don't get me started on W!!!!  LOL

• Marked as answer by Carl-S Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:59 PM
    Sunday, May 28, 2006 2:07 PM
  • Sounds as if  you may have a better set-up in the States for obtaining software.   Nobody out here offers any software sales to my knowledge.   One can buy only the full version at the "full" price or, if one is a student, an "academic" version whatever that is.   Upgrades appear to be non-existent.   The current price for a full version is around  $310 [$US290] and $450 $US325 approx] for Pro.   Having paid this already to someone who may have [probably] sold me short it is hard to stomach again!   I suspect it may be cheaper to purchase and "old" computer that is on offer if it has a "genuine" [I wonder what the real meaning of that word is - Microsoft has it's own meaning apparently] copy of Windows with it.   Even then how can one be sure?
    Monday, May 29, 2006 4:39 AM
  • You could always install a copy of Linux and save the drama. No licensing issues!
    Saturday, September 23, 2006 12:31 PM
  •  Gordon Shumway wrote:
    You could always install a copy of Linux and save the drama. No licensing issues!

No way!

Saturday, September 23, 2006 12:40 PM