How to populate a custom entity's first name and last name fields from the Contact entity RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have created a custom entity called 'Meeting Invitees'.  In this entity I have a lookup to the Contact entity so that the user can select the contact record.
    I would like to be able to populate the First Name and Last Name fields on the Meeting Invitees custom entity with the values from the contact selected in the lookup field.
    Is this possible with JScript?  If you are able to assist with some sample code that would be really helpful to me as I am new to both CRM and JScript.
    I have created a Workflow that updates the First Name and Last Name fields on the Meeting Invitees entity with the values from the Contact entity but with the Workflow there is a delay in response time and I would like these fields to be populated immediately.
    Thanks,
    Michelle
    Monday, March 9, 2009 5:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Michelle,

You have a few options here:

1. Through JS, you can use AJAX to retrieve the contact's first and last name. Just search google : 'ms crm ajax tutorial'

2. Using a Pre/Post callout (create/update) or workflow assembly, you can retrieve the contact details and update your custom entity.

Thanks,

Karlo

Karlo Swart - http://www.ver206.com
    Monday, March 9, 2009 6:45 AM