Mutual Fund distribution RRS feed

• Question

• It's that time of year when many mutual funds do their distribution. If you're in say a 401k, the amount of shares increases and the Mutual Fund price decreases. For example the Mutual Fund price goes from 25 to 22 and you get more shares to make up for the decrease

Problem is when you look at the chart, one day it's 25 and the next day it's 22 causing an incorrect chart. How do I fix the chart

Friday, December 14, 2012 6:11 PM

All replies

• I would not try to adjust the chart. What you should do is to pay more attention to the Total Return columns of the Microsoft Money Portfolio, which takes into account the effect of such distributions.

If you really wanted to adjust the chart in a tax-deferred retirement account, you could void  the distribution transactions, and enter a split to account for the extra shares. I recommend against that.

Friday, December 14, 2012 9:39 PM
  • I'm not sure how much help this will be but...

... with mutual funds held at a financial institution that support .OFX file downloads, this should import properly into MS Money.

With TD Waterhouse (and likely TD Ameritrade), the MS Money creates a new entry of the "Add Shares" transaction type to adjust the quantity of units held. It will update the fund price at the same time.

If you're manually entering the data, I'd suggest using the same data entry process - "Add Shares" to change the quantity of the mutual fund you hold and then do a "Manually Update Price."

Am I way off base with that?
    • Edited by CJOttawa Sunday, February 3, 2013 2:52 AM
    Sunday, February 3, 2013 2:51 AM