none
Starting balance in CC account keeps changing, MS Money 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a credit card account set up in Money 2007, using online updates from Chase.  I set the starting balance to $0.  The starting balance keeps changing to some huge number, which seems to be somewhat close to the total charges over the history of the account.  I'm pretty sure it's changing every time updates are downloaded.
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:51 PM

All replies

• Are you saying that the OpeningBalance field in the AccountSettings for the account keeps changing?
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:15 PM
  • That's correct.  I set it to $0, and then as soon as I do an online update, it changes to a number around $100,000.  I've had the account in my Money file since I opened the account about 3 years ago, and the entire transaction history is in there.  I think this problem started sometime in the last year.
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 5:46 PM
  • Weird. I have never heard of such a thing. I would collect logs of the update process. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911941/en-us tells how.

Reading the resulting files is tricky.  The actual data is in the bigger *rq.txt file for Chase credit card. Renaming/copying to a file named *.xml can make it viewable in IE in a more formatted way. If you find a record in there with the same number that your OpeningBalance is being set to would solve that.

What if you do track the problem to the OFX file? What could you do about it? It is possible that using the PocketSense scripts to get your Chase credit card data would just solve it. There may be enough difference in the mechanism. If the same problem were to exist in that way, it is possible to make code that would remove the offending field-- depending on programming ability and motivation of somebody. It would also be possible that, taking that problem OFX file to Chase would cause them to fix the data. This would be possible in the literal sense and not in the sense of those who say possible when they really mean practical or doable.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:14 PM
  • I looked at the log files, but I didn't find anything suspicious.  I think I'm going to try to recreate the account in a new Money file and see if I see the same problem.

One thing I forgot is that I actually have two credit cards at Chase, both set up in Money.  The second account doesn't exhibit this problem.

Friday, December 3, 2010 1:55 AM
  • Have you reconciled the account lately?  Seems like that would find the $100,000 error, and fix it.

Sunday, December 5, 2010 12:35 AM