New install, need to get files off internal hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• So I am trying out windows home server.  I have it installed.  I have a lot of music/pictures/etc. that I need to add to the server that is on a second internal harddrive that is not part of the WHS storage hard drives.  

How do I go about getting the files off the drive to the server storage drives?  It doesn't let me access the drive to move files, so I'm a bit lost on how to get the files off.

Thanks 
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 4:46 AM

Answers

• Hello tobex,

It almost sounds like you are dual booting between WHS and another OS on one computer, are you?  I am not sure if that is recommended, I am sure someone else will speak up.

You cannot access the drives from the WHS box unless they are a part of the storage pool.  Please remember, any drive added gets formatted.

At all times, you want to be adding and removing files through the shared folder that gets added to the desktop of your computer.  You do not want to be adding files any other way.

If you do indeed have two computers, I would suggest removing the drive with your files and adding it to your computer, by external or internal means.
    • Marked as answer by Shikr Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:26 AM
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hello tobex,

It almost sounds like you are dual booting between WHS and another OS on one computer, are you?  I am not sure if that is recommended, I am sure someone else will speak up.

You cannot access the drives from the WHS box unless they are a part of the storage pool.  Please remember, any drive added gets formatted.

At all times, you want to be adding and removing files through the shared folder that gets added to the desktop of your computer.  You do not want to be adding files any other way.

If you do indeed have two computers, I would suggest removing the drive with your files and adding it to your computer, by external or internal means.
    • Marked as answer by Shikr Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:26 AM
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 5:47 AM
  • Hi,
    a method how to migrate data is also outlined in the last section of this FAQ. (Only that instead of the DE\shares folder your file system on that disk is the source.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:27 AM
  • Thanks, I was hoping I could access the files after installing it to the server without having to reformat it.  Looks like I'll have to move the files off first.  Thanks for the insight.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:28 AM