Site Incorrectly tagged as "FR" (French) Language instead of English RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed my wifes site was not coming up through MSN Live Search so after signing up for webmaster tools I noticed the language was coded as "FR" rather then "EN" (or whatever MSN uses as the English abbreviation.)  I did some additional testing & found that my live search options are set to only find sites in English & in completing a search for “Maddi and Me Boutique” or “Maddi & Me Boutique” the site is not found.  However, when change the “Search Language” options to only find sites in the French language, this same search finds the site as the top result. 

I contacted Live Search Tech Support to see if they could assist me with changing the language indicator MSN has on file for my site to English, and they referred me to this forum.  If anyone can assist me with correcting this to show the site is in the English language, I would greatly appreciate it.  It seems as though MSN may see the word "Boutique" since it has a French origin and assign the FR language indicator as a result.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Do you use a hosting company? If so, which and where are they at in the world?

Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you use a hosting company? If so, which and where are they at in the world?

Thursday, August 7, 2008 7:18 PM
  • Hi

My site came up as Danish instead of English. I contacted MSN and never really got anywhere with them. However, after a couple of months it changed to English without me doing anything. I think patience is the word with MSN, they will eventually put it right, but don't hold your breath waiting.

Mark

Friday, August 8, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Yes, I use PappaShop Web Hosting out of Portland, OR. 

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:59 AM
  • The index page has no Document Type Declaration.  Perhaps this is misleading the MSNbot.

See http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_DOCTYPE.asp for Doctype formats.

I'd suggest adding the doctype tag to the index and other pages.

... Duane

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:55 AM