none
7B stop error with Sil 3112a controller RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all

I'm having problems with my new Home Server just delivered this Friday, and yes, it’s something I've put together my self Smile

When inserting the DVD i get a GUI setup, that tells me it can't find any hard drives to install the Home Server on. I insert my CD with the SiL 3112a controller drivers, and it loads the drivers. I can now see my new 500gb hard drive, and I can finish the GUI setup after entering the product code etc.

Then there's the first boot which starts the "old" dos installation of a server 2003, and it asks to press F6 for additional SCSI drivers or F2 for automated recovery or something. After that, it loads some driver, and displays "Starting Windows Setup" (or something similar). After this, it display a stop error reading 7B.

I've looked at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/122926, and I am sure it's the driver for the controller that's the problem.

So I went to http://www.siliconimage.com/support/index.aspx?pid=63&cid=3, and selected the XP driver, since I can't find any Server 2003 32 bit driver. In the readme it displays information about Server 2003, so it should support it or what? Unfortunately the problem persists Sad

Later I'm going home to try the Vista driver from the download page above, but curiously the XP and Vista driver links to the same file Tongue Tied

The thing is, that I can see the drive from the GUI part of the setup, and then it "looses" the driver at the first boot.

For information, I can see the drive in the bios.

Config:

Intel D845PEBT2 desktop board

Intel P4HT 3.0GHz

2Gb Ram

500 GB Sata drive (Jumper attached for backward Sata 150mbit, not 300mbit)

What to do? I just bought the RTM of Windows Home Server (UK), so I would like it up and running real soon!

Thanks for any help!

Regards

Claus Nielsen

Microsoft Student Partner

Engineering College of Århus, Denmark
    Monday, September 24, 2007 7:28 AM

Answers

•  Danisher wrote:
    Unfortunatly, I don't have a floppy drive, and I don't have a floppy disk, so not really usefulll
    You can try putting the drivers on a USB flash drive, and booting the DVD with that drive already plugged in, but I haven't had great luck with that method, and I've never had a failure with a floppy, as long as I actually hit F6 in time.
    Monday, September 24, 2007 1:56 PM

All replies

• You will need to use a utility that should be on your driver CD to prepare a floppy disk for use at the "Press F6" prompt. Then you can use that floppy disk during the initial graphical setup and the text-mode setup.

And yes, this means that you will have to connect a floppy drive, at least temporarily.
    Monday, September 24, 2007 1:36 PM
  • Thats great!

Unfortunatly, I don't have a floppy drive, and I don't have a floppy disk, so not really usefulll Sad

Monday, September 24, 2007 1:39 PM
  •  Danisher wrote:
    Unfortunatly, I don't have a floppy drive, and I don't have a floppy disk, so not really usefulll
    You can try putting the drivers on a USB flash drive, and booting the DVD with that drive already plugged in, but I haven't had great luck with that method, and I've never had a failure with a floppy, as long as I actually hit F6 in time.
    Monday, September 24, 2007 1:56 PM
  • Hello again

I tried copying both the Vista and XP driver to a USB drive and selecting loadin both drivers from the GUI menu.

Then it rebooted, and it didn't give me an error.

Maybe it remembers where it located the drivers, cause the last time I installed the drivers, it was from a cd. Seems like it doesn't copy the driver files, but only loads them into memory. Who wrote that code?

Anyways, now it works, and all because of a litte USB drive!

Thanks a lot!!!!

Regards

Monday, September 24, 2007 2:49 PM
  • If you have one, update to a Windows Server 2003 driver. WHS is based on a flavor of Windows Server 2003, so drivers for that OS offer the greatest likelihood of working correctly.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 12:38 AM
  • First -

Let me say that I am experiencing a similar problem.  I had trouble getting WHS (Never succeeded) Beta2 to install to a primary drive on this controller with this driver.

With the RC version, I did get the driver to load the first time it asks for it. It 'sees' the SATA card and the harddrive on it. But then during the text install it looses it and can't find the SATA drive.

I gave up. I installed primary to an IDE drive, then once into WHS I installed the drivers and added the SATA Drive to the pool.

Some info.

The SiL 3x12 SATA PCI Cards do have new drivers that came out this summer (June 25 or so).

Go here to get them and grab the 2000 / XP Driver.

"http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=63&cid=3&ctid=2&osid=4&"

The driver to get is the one that is version 1.3.68.2

If you unzip the files, and read the INF file you will see this...

"

; This INF file installs the Silicon Image Serial ATA non-Raid driver for the
    ; SiI 3x12 controllers on systems running Windows 2000, Windows XP,
    ; Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista."

So there is only one driver for all modern Windows version for all SIL PCI SATA Cards, that have model numbers like 3x12. This driver DOES successfully install into an already installed WHS and then the drive is visible and can be added to the drive pool, but I had to have my primary drive be an IDE Drive. (So of course I bought the biggest IDE drive ever made @ 750GB when I rebuilt the server) - I never did get this card recognized during an install and get the primary disk installed to this card.

I hope this helps, but I probably not.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:33 AM
  • I had the same problem installing the Beta version ofWHS.

My workaround was to change the motherboard setting from Raid to Base and use the Base driver instead of the Raid driver.

My setup hasn't missed a beat since, with HDD.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 9:56 PM