I bought my computer at auction and the Windows 7 is an Enterprise version. RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my computer at auction and the Windows 7 is an Enterprise version. I was trying to convert to Windows 10 when I discovered this. How can I change my version of Windows 7 to a personal version? I only need to do this so that I can update to 10. The computer was bought in 2010 from Advanta Bank. Any help will be appreciated!
    Monday, July 25, 2016 5:01 PM

Answers

• You could - assuming that you have the proper Windows 7 installation media handy and got it done quick! You'd need to do a clean install.

The Free Windows 10 Upgrade offer expires TODAY!!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Friday, July 29, 2016 8:27 AM
  • One cannot simply change a Windows 7 license.  You would have to try and obtain the original Windows 7 recovery/reinstallation media from the PC manufacturer and perform a Windows 7 "clean install".  But since today (07-29-2016) is the deadline for the free upgrade to Windows 10, it is very doubtful you could accomplish this feat.

Carey Frisch

Friday, July 29, 2016 4:05 PM

All replies

• That computer should have never been sold with a copy of Windows 7 Enterprise since that license belongs to the original institution that installed it.  It cannot be converted to a different Windows 7 license and it is not eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10.  The only thing you can do is purchase Windows 10 and perform a "clean install".

Carey Frisch

Monday, July 25, 2016 11:48 PM
  • The PC has a Windows 7 sticker & license that was assigned / bought with it.  Can I not change the license from the Win7 Enterprise license to the Win 7 standard license, then upgrade this to Windows 10 without buying a new Windows 10 license?

hcrane62

Friday, July 29, 2016 12:50 AM
  • You could - assuming that you have the proper Windows 7 installation media handy and got it done quick! You'd need to do a clean install.

The Free Windows 10 Upgrade offer expires TODAY!!

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Friday, July 29, 2016 8:27 AM
  • One cannot simply change a Windows 7 license.  You would have to try and obtain the original Windows 7 recovery/reinstallation media from the PC manufacturer and perform a Windows 7 "clean install".  But since today (07-29-2016) is the deadline for the free upgrade to Windows 10, it is very doubtful you could accomplish this feat.

Carey Frisch

Friday, July 29, 2016 4:05 PM