VLK Office update on retail Win XP ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Question: Is there any reason why a (legal) VLK MS Office cannot be Windows Updated if installed on a system which runs on a (genuine) Win XP Pro retail?

I have 2 computers.

The Company HP laptop that I also take home, and a Dell PC at home.

Company HP laptop:

- Microsoft Windows XP Professional with its VLK, Volume Licensing Key ( PID: nnnnn-640-nnnnnnn-nnnnn )

- Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 with its VLK, Volume Licensing Key ( PID: nnnnn-640-nnnnnnn-nnnnn )

Dell PC: Dual booting XP Pro and Vista Ultimate (both are my own retail, individual licenses)

- Microsoft Windows XP Professional (retail), with its Individual Licensing Key ( PID: nnnnn-016-nnnnnnn-nnnnn )

- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (retail), with its Individual Licensing Key ( PID: nnnnn-448-nnnnnnn-nnnnn )

My home Dell PC runs Sun’s OpenOffice. But, to do some office work on my home PC (and synchronise later with the company’s laptop), I have installed the (VLK) Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003    

Validation is successful for all OS and Office versions on both computers (http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/)

Now this is what happens:

Windows Update has no problem under Vista. But, under XP, I get this error msg:

The following updates were not installed:

Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB949074)

Security Update for Microsoft Office 2003 (KB951535)

Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB962870)

Do I need to discard my retail Win XP Pro and install the company’s VLK? (i.e., perform a repair, in-place upgrade) Do I have other choices?

Why is it OK under Vista and not under XP?

Thank you, regards,

JL

Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:39 PM

Answers

• Hello JL,

Thank you for posting in the Office Genuine Advantage "OGA" forums today. To answer your question No. Let me explain the purpose of a VLK.

1. Volume License Key (VLK): The Volume license is type of license, where each VLK customer will be given a single product key and they can use this key to install Windows Vista on multiple computers. No Activation is required. Hardware requirements are not verified. 

As a rule, VLK editions of an Operating System should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Vista are Upgrade Licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

Hopefully this has provide you with more insight.

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, April 13, 2009 7:08 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 7:06 PM

All replies

• Hello JL,

Thank you for posting in the Office Genuine Advantage "OGA" forums today. To answer your question No. Let me explain the purpose of a VLK.

1. Volume License Key (VLK): The Volume license is type of license, where each VLK customer will be given a single product key and they can use this key to install Windows Vista on multiple computers. No Activation is required. Hardware requirements are not verified. 

As a rule, VLK editions of an Operating System should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Vista are Upgrade Licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

Hopefully this has provide you with more insight.

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, April 13, 2009 7:08 PM
    Monday, April 13, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Stephen, thanks for your answer and sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a couple of days...

> To answer your question No

This was my Q:

Question: Is there any reason why a (legal) VLK MS Office cannot be Windows Updated if installed on a system which runs on a (genuine) Win XP Pro retail?

Does this mean it CAN be updated? ("There is NO reason why it couldn't")

Please see my original msg. The VLK is the OFFICE, the OS (XP and Vista) are retail...

Anyway, I've talked to our IT people and the problem is solved.

Regards,
    JL
    Monday, April 20, 2009 7:17 PM
  • JL,

VLK's are only used in a corporate setting. Is your computer part of a corporte network environment? If so I would encourage you to contact the system's administrator and have them explain the details. VLK's are different than other versions of Office.

Take care JL,

Stephen
    Monday, April 20, 2009 10:40 PM