none
Unable to restore WIndows 7 Computer RRS feed

• Question

• LIke many others here, I am having trouble restoring a computer from a WHS backup.

I get as far as logging into the server and selecting a backup.  At this point there is a status report on the screen that says "Paused, waiting for cleanup", and nothing happens.

I have tried 2 different network cards in the computer to be restored and I have connected only the WHS and computer to be restored to a spare router.  The results don't change.

What can I do to get the restore operation to work?

Bob Havey D2D Computer Services Springfield, VA
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:00 PM

All replies

• Bob,

* How have you waited while "nothing happens"?

* Check if you can succesfully open the backup you are trying to restore manually using the console from a (any) client computer?
    (If not there might be a problem with the backup database. To try to repair use Settings->Backup->Repair)

* Any relevant warnings/errors in your servers event list?

* Try restarting the server. Wait for the console status reports "Storage Balanced on: ...".
    The try again?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 8:20 PM
  • Theo,

Thank you for the reply.

I am beginning to think that I have a write only backup.  Secure enough, but it doesn't do me much good.

To answer your question regarding "nothing happens", I walked away and came back several hours later.

There were no obvious errors.

When I tried the repair, there was an error message 'Backup Service is not running".  Services.msc listed the backup service as running, but when I double clicked, the dialog said the service was stopped.  I restarted the service and was able to complete the repair.

I tried to retrieve one file and when I tried to open the backup, the progress bar went to 81% and then I saw an error that said "Unable to mount volume."

I then attempted to restore the failed computer.  This time the indication was that the computer was being restored.  The progress bar moved a short distance and the restore seemed to hang.  the time remaining did not change and the progress bar did not move for over 1/2 hour.  I left everything running overnight.  BTW, at this point WHS and the computer to be restored were back on the "spare" router.  When I came back in the AM, I saw the famous "an unknown network error has occurred" message.

WHS is installed on an Atom motherboard with 512 MB of memory.  I can increase the memory to 2GB, but the maximum for that motherboard is 1 2GB module.  I have a couple of Pentium 4 carcasses that have SATA ports on the motherboard.  Would I be better off installing the drives from WHS on one of those machines?  And, can I make the transfer, of course installing drivers or doing a "repair upgrade", without losing anything?

Sunday, January 2, 2011 1:03 AM
  • Why would Microsoft expect to be able to sell WHS - much less get anyone else to sell WHS if this can happen?  And why would anyone buy it?

I have determined that the problem is a corrupt database.  I have installed WHS in a machine runnig an entry level XEON processor.  The new database is fine.  I used the backup and restore procedure to move the old database to the new installation.  I was still unable to mount the database to retrieve a file and I was unable to restore the computer that I had a problem with.

Fortunately for me, the drive was backed up in other places and I was able to read the drive in another computer - so I was covered in several ways.  This is still not something that I would want in the hands of the average home user.

What I need is something that is mindless once it is set up.  Currently I am recommending Carbonite, which will get all of the data, but not the computer setup.  An no, I do not have a reseller deal with Carbonite, I just think it is approrpiate for my customers.

Back to WHS, the procedure for backup has to be:

1. Allow the daily backups to be made.

2. On a weekly basis - more frequently if you are a little paranoid:

a.  Test the backup by trying to retrieve a file.

b.  Back up the database to an external hard drive.  Keeping 2 copies of the database - current and 1 back level.

Of course if the test of the database fails, you have to try to recover the database, and if that doesn't work you need to revert to the last working copy that you have.

Although this is within the skill of most home users, and I can probably automate the process.  They probably won't have the interest to actually do it, and additional large external hard drives are an additonal expense.

It also does not helpp that there appears to be no real Microsoft support for this product in the Partner Forums.  I mean Microsoft employees or contractors that really know the product.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 4:13 PM
  • I have determined that the problem is a corrupt database.

Hello Bob,
    I agree, this is a real problem. Having no secundairy backups availble can be fatal then. In my opinion WHS is just a very conveniant way to keep both my computers as my data "relatively" save. But I learned to never rely on one single backup medium. I can think of several situation in which my WHS server may become "lost".

First question that comes to my mind is: what caused your database to become currupted? Could it be there was some hardware problem involved?

I have seen a few other users in this forum reporting backup database curruption. If this happens the PP3 repair functions should be able to repair most problems. I myself have been running WHSv1 for more then 2 years and have never experienced any backup database problems unless they where of my own doing (on one of my beta/test environments). Maybe I was lucky - and be assured I'm not trying to suggest you did something that corrupted the database - but personally I feel quite confortable about my client backups.

Back to WHS, the procedure for backup has to be:
    1. Allow the daily backups to be made.
    2. On a weekly basis - more frequently if you are a little paranoid:
                a.  Test the backup by trying to retrieve a file.
                b.  Back up the database to an external hard drive.
                Keeping 2 copies of the database - current and 1 back level.

I agree. Esoecialy with a home-build WHS, if you need to be 100% sure you can rely on being able to restore your clients you should validate your backups regularly until the system has proven to be relyable. This is what OEM manufacturers (should) do when designing and building their WHS product.

It also does not helpp that there appears to be no real Microsoft support for this product in the Partner Forums.  I mean Microsoft employees or contractors that really know the product.

WHS being an OEM product, the only support that can be expected for end-users is directly from the OEM system manufacturor. In your case, you are your own support.

That said, the Windows Home Server Forum is read and monitored by both Microsoft Employees that are directly involved in the design of WHS as well as a number of experienced "users" that often have a deeply understanding of the inner workings of WHS.  Feel free to raise any problems or questions you have in this forum.

Or use Connect for feedback on technical problems, bugs or suggestions. All feedback will be validated and when necaissairy routed to WHS engineers.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:32 PM
  • Theo,

Thank you for the reply.  WHS is fine for me.  As I said I am backed up in several ways.  I also spend a lot of time retrieving data from hard drives with failed boot sectors and the like for customers.  I just don't see how an average user is supposed to rely on it for backup.  Many of my customers can barely find the "On" button and are really not interested in performing a lot of procedures to service their computer.

The fact that I have been playing with this problem for 6 weeks should say something, and it was probably 6 weeks before I posted the question.  I have spent some time building a WHS on a real server motherboard, and I have tried the recovery procedure several times on both boxes.  The memory and hard drive in original box test good and the processor appears to be working.  I did use an Atom processor in the original unit.  Intel does not support a server operating system on a desktop motherboard, but I had apparently gotten away with it.

Other Microsoft products have partner forums where contractor employees answer questions overnight.

BTW, the lack of support for desktop hardware is a problem.  WHS is touted as on OS that can be installed on an older motherboard and does not require high performance.  This is also nonsense because an older motherboard will probably require an IDE drive, and the largest IDE drive that I can find is 500GB.  I suppose USB external drives are the answer, but that is starting to get complicated.

My big problem is that I have already sold a few of them and now I have to go back to those customers with additional backup procedures.

I will see what I can do on Connect, but my understanding was that this version of WHS is no longer supported there.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:08 PM
  • Theo,

I just checkt the Connect Site.  There were several reports of the same problem that I am having.  There is no real resolution and there are no reasonable suggestions.

It's frustrating.  Microsoft appears to be unconcerned when WHS becomes a write only backup.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 11:40 PM