What is the best way to "load" media folders on WHS 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• I am struggling with a conceptual question, I can't find a simple answer to.   Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction?

I have installed WHS 2011 RC1, with 9 client PCs all running some flavor of win 7.   A few hiccups, but the backup functionality is working fine, I think.  I can set up shares, can log in from the outside.   I have it set up so all recorded TV on clients is directed to the "Recorded TV" share on the server.   So far, so good.

I would like to move the music currently on 2 or 3 of the PCs back to a share on the server, sharing from there, rather than the rat's nest of shares that win 7 generates on client PCs.   I imagine that there must be a correct format for how music (or pictures, or videos) is stored in shared folders, but have no idea what it is.    I also imagine that there is probably some form of copy which copies media in the correct format without me being aware of what it is, exactly.  And that is where I get lost.

Can one move media from client PC to server media shares by copy/paste of folders?   What about music stored in an itunes library?  This feels like it must be a newb question, but I can't find an answer.

Thanks in advance!

Monday, February 21, 2011 7:33 PM

Answers

• No special needs for copying files, just copy/paste or drag & drop. Only limitation is the format of the files, for example it will stream mp3 but not FLAC. iTunes is a bit different as there, as far a I know, no streaming facility in WHS2011  to serve up to iTunes - unlike the original WHS where you could install Firefly. I think you should be able to point iTunes to the server location where your files are stored (once you have copied them there!).
    Monday, February 21, 2011 9:19 PM

All replies

• No special needs for copying files, just copy/paste or drag & drop. Only limitation is the format of the files, for example it will stream mp3 but not FLAC. iTunes is a bit different as there, as far a I know, no streaming facility in WHS2011  to serve up to iTunes - unlike the original WHS where you could install Firefly. I think you should be able to point iTunes to the server location where your files are stored (once you have copied them there!).
    Monday, February 21, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I will take this and experiment on a small scale until I get the feel of it.   I ripped most of the music from our CD library in mp4 format in itunes.   So no DRM for that stuff.   I can find the ripped music in the itunes media folder inside "My Music" but it has a folder structure above the songs - album artist, and album title sub to that.  I guess I don't need any of that.  I copied just the mp4 song files and WMPlayer and WMC both regenerated the album structure and title.   So all that must be in song metadata, I guess.

DRM will probably complicate things a lot.   Not sure if mp4 streams as does mp3 yet, but can research that.   And I hadn't really thought about setting the source for itunes to the share - duh.

Thanks again.

Monday, February 21, 2011 11:56 PM
  • Just a friendly warning do not forget this is a release candidate not a released product so make certain that you keep copies of your music safe until after RTM.

It's no fun to loose your accumulated data, whether music or more especially personal photo's etc. Once the product is RTM you should be able to disconnect your data drives load the system and then reconnect the data drives and recreate the shares. The RTM will probably require a full reload of the system and even if it does not, it is a good idea to do a clean install as it gets rid of left over beta bits and pieces reducing potential issue's.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:17 AM