CRM replication RRS feed

• Question

• I would like some opions / facts on CRM replication please.

A CRM system is set up in a fixed office environment with everything installed within the office network. The issue I have is that there will be off-shore locations, e.g. ships, which also need to access the same CRM system. However, the internet connection speed is very basic and between 56k and 256k at best which will make direct use of the CRM in the office via the internet impossible.

It has been suggested to replicate the CRM database between the office and the off-shore locations to allow for the internet dropping as well as fast local CRM usage.

Is replication of the CRM database the way to go, or will it be too bulky to overcome the slow internet connection?

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Database replication would be tricky without a stable internet connection.

You may find that using the CRM for Outlook offline client will work for your situation. This will create a local copy of their CRM data on the off-shore user's machines which they can work on via Outlook. When they find themselves with a stable connection, they would click 'Go Online' to sync their local changes with the main system. They would then 'Go Offline' when they are done synchronising and disconnect from the internet again.

Neil - My CRM Blog
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:37 PM
  • Here is a whitepaper on sharing data between multiple CRM deployments. https://community.dynamics.com/product/crm/crmtechnical/b/crmmattwittemann/archive/2010/03/22/new-whitepaper-on-sharing-data-between-crm-deployments.aspx

You may also have the option of using the Outlook offline client.

MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Check out the CRM 4 to CRM 2011 JavaScript Converter Tool
    CRM Forum Guidance on how to Help Us Help You
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 12:37 PM
  • As Neil has pointed out, the Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook client with Offline Access is probably the easiest and cheapest option in this scenario, although perhaps a mobile client might be worth investigating too because these are designed to transfer less data and to work with intermittent internet connects. TenDigits and CWR Mobility both have mobile clients for various phone platforms that have offline capability.

Any kind of database-to-database replication mechanism is going to rely on a high-speed network connection, and I would rule out this option.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:07 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestion - I will try it.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Thanks for this, I will read the whitepaper but also try the outlook offline client.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Thanks, I will look into mobile client as well especially as this may be a future requirement.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

I think that your first idea is the better one, i.e., have a server on each off-shore location and use database replication. Take care only on choosing the correct third-party database replication software that better fills your business.

Our company is specialized in doing database replication projects on weak internet connections, having customers for example with database servers in the middle of amazon jungle, with satellite internet only with connection speedy between 32 and 64 kb and very instable, but we replicate about 50 thousand operations day on this customer without problems.

Offline cache solutions are only for eventual use, not for who that need to use all business day. 

If you would like to have more details please visit us at objectmmrs.com.

Wagner

Thursday, February 10, 2011 12:54 AM