none
Windows Server 2008 HPC RRS feed

• Question

•  Good Evening, In order to make the management too see sense, I have taken it upon myself to highlight the advantages of clustering out current 54 Computers [which are basically currently utilised as as stand alone systems].  In order to undertake this task, my first plan of campaign was to attempt to install Windows 2008 Server onto a single quad core PC, then generate a hyperthetical cluster using the HPC on-odd's.  I have however stumbled at the first step.  I have installed Windows Server.  But cannot install the HPC add on, SQL Server 2008 fail's to install with an access violation.  Clearly the getting started guide misses a lot of information out regarding configuration and setup.  I'm writing to basically enquire as to whether a step-by-step guide exists which will enable me to achieve my goal, and get the company out of the dark ages !!

Regards Paul 
    Friday, December 12, 2008 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Paulm2008,

Thanks for using Windows HPC Server. Given our release dates and SQL Server release dates we haven't completed formal testing for SQL Server 2008 on HPC Server 2008. I'm running SQL Server 2008 on the cluster in my office and haven't had problems but YMMV.

We will formally support SQL Server 2008 with our service pack which will be released in the next six months. In the meantime we are confident SQL Server 2005 will work well with HPC Server 2008, particularly for failover scenarios on the head node.

Thank you,
    ryan
    Ryan Waite - Product Unit Manager - Windows HPC
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:14 PM

All replies

• This may be a trivial question but did you install the 64bit version of server 2008 onto your headnode? HPC will only work with that. Also the version of SQL that ships with HPC is 2005.
    If you go http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700329.aspx you will see a document entitled "Installation Instructions for a Windows HPC Server 2008–Based Cluster on HP Proliant DL145 G2 Hardware" in the Interoperability section of Technical Whitepapers.
    This is near as dammit a step by step walkthru complete with screen shots of what you are trying to do.
    Hope it helps.

Cheers

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Hi Paulm2008,

Thanks for using Windows HPC Server. Given our release dates and SQL Server release dates we haven't completed formal testing for SQL Server 2008 on HPC Server 2008. I'm running SQL Server 2008 on the cluster in my office and haven't had problems but YMMV.

We will formally support SQL Server 2008 with our service pack which will be released in the next six months. In the meantime we are confident SQL Server 2005 will work well with HPC Server 2008, particularly for failover scenarios on the head node.

Thank you,
    ryan
    Ryan Waite - Product Unit Manager - Windows HPC
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:14 PM