Service Pack 2 and Office Communications Server 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Question:

Will Office Communications Server 2007 work with Windows Server 2003 R2 Service Pack 2 ?

The reason for the question:

Running the Best Practices Analyzer, the report it creates says the following:

This server is running Office Communications Server 2007 but doesn't have hotfix 917949.

This hotfix relates to the front end server, which at this point still has not completely validated. It returns warnings.

The link to that hotfix is located here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917949

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 1:59 PM

Answers

The installed Service Pack 2 on Windows Server 2003 R2 works and the issues that I had prior to the SP2 installation have been corrected and did not have to do with the SP2 being installed.

Previous Issues and their resolution:

• Client connects to the server but can not chat or look up anyone.
    • - SOLUTION - On our server setup, the reason this was happening was the settings in IIS. Use this link to explain
    •  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939530/en-us , we also did the same for sub directories and also turned on
    • directory browsing. And from previous post in Directory Security under Authentication we turned off Enable Annoymous Access, and selected only Basic Authentication. In the Directory Security settings inside properties. Under Server Communications, require secure channel (SSL) was unchecked.
      NOTE - This might not be the best solution security wise but this is a test server and hence any solution that makes it work is better than the best security solution which does not work.

• The galcontacts.db file is not present on the client machine and was never present since installation.
    • - SOLUTION - After resolving the previous issue and then restarting, we found that the GalContacts.db was now present but on at least one client machine the " Outlook Integration Error " was still present. From previous post
      we removed the GalContacts.db from c:\Documents And Settings\User-Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Communicator\ then went to the server and ran
      ABServer.exe -syncNow from the appropriate location in our case it was c:\Program Files\Microsoft Communiations Server 2007\Server\Core\ABServer.exe -syncNow. This now made the error go away and the galcontacts.db was present.
    Presious Issues Still Present:
    • We are not using Exchange Server 2007, we have Exchange Server 2003 so I get the following warnings in the event log.
      1. Exchange Unified Messaging Routing Application did not find any Exchange UM Servers. Catagory (1040) Event ID: 44028.
      2. Office Communications Server startup is pending - Some configured critical applications have not yet registered. This warning comes up but after the warning, the application successfully registers. Catagory (1010) Event ID:30232
      - Note regarding this:
    1.  - We are not using Exchange Server 2007, and that is why the first error occurs.
    2.  - The applications still load, I believe it may give this warning since when the server is starting up they are loading one by one. So when it checks it has completed loading the applications and therefore it gives an error.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:32 PM

All replies

• COMMENT:
       I installed Service Pack 2 on Windows Server 2003 R2. I am not having any significant issues with OCS2007.

Issues Resolved:
    • The Best Practices Analyzer hotfix error is gone.
    Any issues that I have, I had them before the installation
    • The galcontacts.db file is not present on the client machine and was never present since installation.
    • The galcontacts.db file is not present on the server machine and was never present since installation.
    • We are not using Exchange Server 2007, we have Exchange Server 2003 so I get the following warnings in the event log.
      • Exchange Unified Messaging Routing Application did not find any Exchange UM Servers. Catagory (1040) Event ID: 44028.
      • Office Communications Server startup is pending - Some configured critical applications have not yet registered. This warning comes up but after the warning, the application successfully registers. Catagory (1010) Event ID:30232
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:07 PM
       The installed Service Pack 2 on Windows Server 2003 R2 works and the issues that I had prior to the SP2 installation have been corrected and did not have to do with the SP2 being installed.

Previous Issues and their resolution:

• - SOLUTION - On our server setup, the reason this was happening was the settings in IIS. Use this link to explain
    •  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939530/en-us , we also did the same for sub directories and also turned on
    • directory browsing. And from previous post in Directory Security under Authentication we turned off Enable Annoymous Access, and selected only Basic Authentication. In the Directory Security settings inside properties. Under Server Communications, require secure channel (SSL) was unchecked.
      NOTE - This might not be the best solution security wise but this is a test server and hence any solution that makes it work is better than the best security solution which does not work.

• - SOLUTION - After resolving the previous issue and then restarting, we found that the GalContacts.db was now present but on at least one client machine the " Outlook Integration Error " was still present. From previous post
      we removed the GalContacts.db from c:\Documents And Settings\User-Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Communicator\ then went to the server and ran
      ABServer.exe -syncNow from the appropriate location in our case it was c:\Program Files\Microsoft Communiations Server 2007\Server\Core\ABServer.exe -syncNow. This now made the error go away and the galcontacts.db was present.
    Presious Issues Still Present:
      1. Exchange Unified Messaging Routing Application did not find any Exchange UM Servers. Catagory (1040) Event ID: 44028.
      2. Office Communications Server startup is pending - Some configured critical applications have not yet registered. This warning comes up but after the warning, the application successfully registers. Catagory (1010) Event ID:30232
      - Note regarding this:
    1.  - We are not using Exchange Server 2007, and that is why the first error occurs.
    2.  - The applications still load, I believe it may give this warning since when the server is starting up they are loading one by one. So when it checks it has completed loading the applications and therefore it gives an error.

Thursday, September 27, 2007 1:32 PM