RCC with CallManager through Presence OR Genesys (GETS) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Has anyone tried to integrate Genesys Enterprise Telephony Software (GETS), a solution similar to CUPS, with CallManager?. Microsoft SE recommended us to use Genesys for RCC with Cisco IP phone, instead of CUPS.

1) What is PROS and CONS between CUPS and GETS?.

2) Microsoft sale engineer said that when using RCC through Genesys, you can control Cisco IP phone, and OCS softphone simultaneously when you work remotely. I am not quite sure of that. If you are on RCC mode, you basically disable OCS communicator feature. Therefore, if you work from home remotely and the call comes in, how can you pick up the phone with OCS communicator?. Am I wrong?

Thanks

Noppong

Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Noppong,

Genesys GETS is a pretty interesting product. It was not originally built to do remote call control but as a call center application from what I understand. So here are some pros and cons for you.

1)

Pros

- unless you get a large discount from Cisco this could be a cheaper option to deploy RCC.

-it has multivendor support for a variety of different PBX's like avaya etc

-works pretty well

-you can deploy the software on any server unlike CUPS which has to be on a Cisco MCS server (expensive rebadged HP servers)

- very flexible product

Cons

-management interface when i last saw the product was not very friendly. This may have changed and the last time I talked with Genesys they were looking at a new management interface. dont let this put you off though as there are more positives than negatives with this product and it is certainly more flexible than CUPS.

2) Dont know about the second point. I would talk to a Genesys sales and support. last time I looked at the product this wasnt possible using Genesys. Not that you cant do it as there are a number of ways you certainly can but remote call control products usually do not control this feature. To have the softphone portion of OCS working takes a completely different setup and server products. Just as a side note CUPS wont give you this either for the same reason.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Chris

Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:48 PM
  •  

No RCC/TR87 gateway alone can do what you described in #2.  From a configuration perspective you are referring to Enterprise Voice with PBX Integration.  In this config you will need a media gateway (Audiocodes, Dialogic, or Quintum, for example) to provide Enterprise Voice in addition to your RCC gateway.
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Thank you.. that's what I thought. For enterprise voice with PBX intergration, all we need is to have a mediation server between CallManager 5.x/6.x and OCS FES.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Well at the moment you are going to need more than just CCM 5.1 and a OCS mediation server to get full capabilities between Callmanager and OCS. Either an IP-IP GW which can do the E164 number translation to remove the + sign for callmanager or a back to back PSTN gateways which will be there for the same purpose. Cisco ISR router in a IP-IP GW configuration will take care of the E164 translations untill Callmanager is capable. In saying this you can setup callmanager to have a straight SIP trunk to OCS but you will be limited in what numbers you will be able to call as the Callmanager SIP trunk will need to be set to accept only 10 digits to help with removing the + sign. This will limit you ability to call 911 and international as these number have to leave the mediation server with the + sign to follow E164 standards. Also a SIP between the two with no gateway between them is also not supported.

Cisco are looking to support E164 in an upcoming version of CUCM so that a SIP Trunk between CUCM and OCS will be supported with out the use of gateways.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Chris

Monday, January 28, 2008 3:44 PM
  • I would like to know more about Genesys (GETS).

Does it support all modes / methods in RCC (CSTA over SIP) ??
    Any features which is not supported in GETS when deploying between OCS and CCM??
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Conferencing is not supported.  This was removed from Communicator 2007's RCC capabilities but can still be used if Communicator 2005 is the client.

GETS also seems to remove transfer ability, at least with CCM 4.x.  The SingleStepTransfer CSTA command is not sent to Communicator from GETS, so the option is disabled.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:15 PM
  •  Mike Stacy wrote:

Conferencing is not supported.  This was removed from Communicator 2007's RCC capabilities but can still be used if Communicator 2005 is the client.

GETS also seems to remove transfer ability, at least with CCM 4.x.  The SingleStepTransfer CSTA command is not sent to Communicator from GETS, so the option is disabled.

Conferencing support removed via RCC in OCS! Why? This will prevent our company from upgrading LCS to OCS!

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:37 PM
  • Can anyone confirm on this issue?. I think a lot of people out there are planning to upgrade LCS to OCS and would like to know what features will not be available with OCS/RCC. Isn't that true that MS is trying to move away from RCC mode feature on OCS2007, and eventually will only support Enterprise voice mode?. So we can expect less and less features on OCS RCC in the future then. Is it a strategy that MS wants to take PBX role on the network?

Thanks

Yuichu

Saturday, March 1, 2008 1:00 AM
  • I can't confirm Microsoft's future support intentions, but conferencing is definitely not available using RCC with Communicator 2007.  If this is a core requirement then you can still upgrade to OCS and continue to use Communicator 2005 for users that require this capability.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 12:50 AM
  • How about the comparison from the Mgmt / ease of use point of view between CUPS and GETS?

We have quite a frequent changes in the users.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 8:15 AM
  • If you are familiar with CUCM 6.x/5.x GUI, you would like CUPS which has pretty much exact the same feel. For the troubleshooting part, it is easier to have two vendors (MS and Cisco) instead of three. Other than that, both offers the same RCC functionality.

-Thanks 

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:32 PM
  •  

I've heard from multiple Microsoft sources that the push is behind EV.  From the cripped RCC feature set in OCS versus LCS to some support related issues, I've gotten the impression that RCC is on it's way out.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 8:15 PM
  •  

Enabling RCC conference calls is not coming.  This decision was not made by the technical group, but by the marketing group.  This is to force companies to start thinking about moving from RCC to Microsoft enterprise voice in order to get the full suite of capabilities. 

At the same time, I have heard that it was never removed (sales side of Microsoft), but that just the APIs have changed.  I have heard differently from others, but perhaps someone can confirm this.

Friday, May 23, 2008 12:28 PM
  • Yeah, that mirrors what I have seen in the community.  MS is pushing Enterprise Voice very aggressively, which I understand, but to the extreme that RCC will be left by the wayside.  I think there are a large number of existing Cisco deployments (like current MS ECal owners) who would easily make the decision to go with RCC, but are not willing to scrap their relatively new and expensive Cisco IP deployment for an EV solution.

Friday, May 23, 2008 12:40 PM
  • Matt - It was only removed from the client due to testing limitations, which is why MOC 2005 can still use conferencing via RCC even with OCS.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 7:41 PM