Hardware independend backup? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Let's say my computer gives up the ghost and I have to buy a new one. Is it possible to restore the whole computer with the latest backup on a different hardware like Windows Vista System Image does?

Thanks,
    Franz
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:17 PM

Answers

• No. Windows Home Server isn't designed to transfer a system image to brand new hardware, it's designed to restore a previously functioning computer which is, for some reason (usually a failed hard drive which you've replaced), not working.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Franzman Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:18 AM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:29 PM

All replies

• No. Windows Home Server isn't designed to transfer a system image to brand new hardware, it's designed to restore a previously functioning computer which is, for some reason (usually a failed hard drive which you've replaced), not working.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Franzman Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:18 AM
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:29 PM
  • Thanks for your quick answer ;-)

Do you know a way of doing a complete pc backup of a Vista machine to a network path?

Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:22 AM
  • Back up to an external USB disk and then copy the backup across the network...

The ability to back up across the network is not present in Vista but is present in Windows 7.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:29 AM
  • Back up to an external USB disk and then copy the backup across the network...

The ability to back up across the network is not present in Vista but is present in Windows 7.
    Georg from windowsblog.at found a way to perform an image backup to a network drive:
    http://windowsblog.at/post/2008/07/28/29081.aspx

<tt>wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:\\\\server\\share -include:c:,d: -allcritical -quiet</tt>
    Friday, January 8, 2010 10:37 PM