Hide and Calculate Required Fields RRS feed

• Question

• The lead form has a required field "Topic". This is really rather useless for us so I am trying to do the following:

1) Hide the field by moving it into a hidden tab.
    2) Automatically populate the required field with the last and first name.

The questions are:

How do I automatically populate the required field with the last and first name?
    Are there other and better approaches?

Thanks
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:49 PM

Answers

• Hi fhaun,

I agree with Anne.  The topic field helps you categorize those leads. But, if you really want to automatically populate the topic field add the following code to you both Lastname and Firstname onChange event.

crmForm.all.topic.DataValue = crmForm.all.firstname.DataValue + " " + crmForm.all.lastname.Datavalue;

Good Luck,
    Andy

• Proposed as answer by Andy Hung Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, March 5, 2009 3:24 PM
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:20 AM

All replies

• Rename Topic so it is no longer a meaningless field. Consider if you have 300 leads - The Topic field helps you categorize those leads.

You could change it to Short Description and move it to the bottom of the first tap or add an onLoad script that populates it with a value.

Anne
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Hi fhaun,

I agree with Anne.  The topic field helps you categorize those leads. But, if you really want to automatically populate the topic field add the following code to you both Lastname and Firstname onChange event.

crmForm.all.topic.DataValue = crmForm.all.firstname.DataValue + " " + crmForm.all.lastname.Datavalue;

Good Luck,
    Andy

• Proposed as answer by Andy Hung Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, March 5, 2009 3:24 PM
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:20 AM
  • Another option I use frequently is workflow.  You can concatenate the first and last names into the Topice attribute On Create or On Change. 
    Friday, March 6, 2009 2:16 AM