A data cache that I can view offline? -WWT RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. First I'd like to say I thoroughly enjoy WWT and appreciate the effort in developing it. Now my question: Is there any way to download all the images in WWT of the night sky so that they can viewed offline? My internet is slow to resolve the images at higher quality but I figure if i download them for offline use it wouldn't matter. If that's not possible, then is there a tour that someone has made that zooms in and out of everything so that i can leave it on overnight? I have high hopes that a solution exists.

Thanks

Friday, February 3, 2012 4:53 AM

Answers

• I believe there is something like a petabyte of imagery available to view in WWT, so there is not a mechanism for downloading everything.  I don't know if this will solve your problem, but you might try something like this: 

If there's a category of object that you're particularly interested in, you can run all the tours in that folder overnight and cache the imagery from those tours.  A good "all-purpose" group of tours is in a folder called "kiosk."  Those tours are some of the most popular and visit some of the best-known places in the sky.

To do this:

• Click on the Guided Tours tab.
    • Choose the tour folder with all the tours you want to run.
    • Click on the caret at the bottom of the Guided Tours tab to bring up the secondary menu.
    • Select AutoRepeat -> All
    • Run the first tour.  WWT should loop through all the tours in that folder over and over until you tell it to stop.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 5:16 PM

All replies

• I believe there is something like a petabyte of imagery available to view in WWT, so there is not a mechanism for downloading everything.  I don't know if this will solve your problem, but you might try something like this: 

If there's a category of object that you're particularly interested in, you can run all the tours in that folder overnight and cache the imagery from those tours.  A good "all-purpose" group of tours is in a folder called "kiosk."  Those tours are some of the most popular and visit some of the best-known places in the sky.

To do this:

• Click on the Guided Tours tab.
    • Choose the tour folder with all the tours you want to run.
    • Click on the caret at the bottom of the Guided Tours tab to bring up the secondary menu.
    • Select AutoRepeat -> All
    • Run the first tour.  WWT should loop through all the tours in that folder over and over until you tell it to stop.
    Friday, February 24, 2012 5:16 PM
  • WWT automatically caches everything you look at so eventually you can unplug and go back to see everything you have looked at before, but as Pat says, there is no consumer hardware or network that would let you download the whole thing!

Jonathan

Monday, April 16, 2012 4:08 PM