Academic Search free for your Windows Phone 7! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Academic Search Windows Phone Client Now Available!

Click to download the latest Windows Phone app.

Academic Search WP7 client is a free academic search application based on new technologies from Microsoft Research. Academic Search WP7 gives users access to more than 36 million publications from multiple academic fields.

Features:

• Search the Academic Search by author, title, or keyword. You can also narrow the results down to specific fields of study.
    • View the object detail page by clicking a publication title or an author name.
    • "Add to Favorties" lets you keep updated on all your favorite scholars.
    • Send yourself of others email publications that you are interested for later reference.
    • Keep track of information about upcoming conferences.

Screenshots:

Support:

Feel free to post any suggestions and comments! We are looking to improve our application and we will only succeed with suggestions and user insights.

Friday, August 12, 2011 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hello, I just downloaded the application and had a look through it. I think you guys have a great starting product!

I do have a few suggestions:

• It would be extremely useful to be able to see the publications in reverse chronological order (most recent first); also if we could know how they are ordered... right now I just see a few (random?) papers and have no way of seeing more. (This point seems to be valid for the website as well).
    • Do you have plans to expand the conference listing to include areas other than computer science. (e.g. Biology)
    • It would be nice to have some kind of integration with Windows Live to save the interesting citations in the cloud and be able to download them in xml (Word compatible).
    • How is What's New section content determined?
    • Also, maybe you should make the "beta" sign a bit more evident.
    • Finally, the Search section doesn't fit wll in the screen in portrait orientation.

Now for the good points: I like the fact that search can be used to find the "big names" of different fields and favorite them; I think it's nice that MS took the lead in creating a sci. lit. research application for WP7, given that the big publishers haven't moved on this (many have iProduct applications but nothing for WP7).

All in all, I like this application, please keep improving it. As a grad student, I think that application will be very useful.

Cheers

Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:36 AM
  • How do you remove a favorite. The expected way of HOLDING and getting context menu does not work
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:55 PM
  • Hi gerryf19, please upgrade the app to our latest version 1.2.0.0, you can remove the favorite author in the author detail page, in the toolbar, if the author has been favorited, tap the favorite icon will remove the favorite. we will consider your feedback - pop up the context menu in the favorite page later. Thanks for the feedback.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:08 AM
  • A related question although related more to the Windows 8 CP, hopefully an Academic Search metro app for Win 8 to be offered soon?

Thanks for developing Academic Search. I organize conferences and it could prove very useful for that as well.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 11:16 PM
  • Hi, excellent research tool and app. This has real potential and is already good enough to rival scholar.

I have a couple of suggestions I'd really like to see:

1. Like another user said above, a way to import citations directly into word would be so useful, and would immediately cement this above other publication search options
    2. Also, being able to store these citations in your Microsoft ID, and thus allow use of them in the word web app.
    3. I'm not sure how to create a new author in your system, because a paper I published has been put under another author's (with the same name) profile

Again, this is a really nice tool, I can see this quickly rising in popularity amongst the academic community.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:36 AM