none
Relationship of empty bars to melody pitches RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering how exactly the generation of chords responds to a user's clearing and locking a chord. When a bar is emptied, does the preceding bar begin factoring the melodic pitches from that (empty) bar in predicting the chord for the earlier bar? In other words, if you were to clear and lock the chords as in the top image here--just ignore the bottom image, which I posted in error--and then move the sliders around, does Songsmith begin changing the E chord to reflect the melody across bars three and four? Or does it just consider only the melody over the unlocked, first half of bar three? I was hoping for the former, although I'm guessing it's the latter?
    • Edited by xhevahir78 Saturday, February 15, 2020 1:31 AM
    Saturday, February 15, 2020 1:23 AM

Answers

• You're correct that Songsmith only really looks at the melody in the first half of bar three in this case.  What you're suggesting would have definitely been a richer and more correct interpretation of the locking system, sorry to disappoint!  Most of the time this is a subtle issue, but I can see how in your case - where you have three locked-empty chords and only a snippet of melody over the non-locked chord - this could be problematic.

Hope that helps... happy Songsmith'ing!

-Dan

• Marked as answer by xhevahir78 Wednesday, February 26, 2020 9:06 PM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2020 7:43 AM
    Owner