Released General Availability  Windows Home Server 10/13/2007

Date Mainstream Support 1/8/2013

End Date Extended Support  Not Applicable

==> I really hope the Date Mainstream Support will be extended for quite
    some extra years..

Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:15 PM

All replies

• Serioously? I don't expect suport to be extended past that date. 5 years for a consumer product.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:18 PM
  • > Serioously?

Yes, seriously. It's closer to 4 than to 5 years. And given the delay (one must be out of control if stating this change doesn't affect the availability date...) 5 years is way to short.

> 5 years for a consumer product.
    I know consumer (MS) products that exceed this hugly.
    Also, WHS is not a "normal"consumer product.  Or is it me, not being normal here?

PS : Ken, you don't always have to defend the descisions MS makes.

Serioously? I don't expect suport to be extended past that date. 5 years for a consumer product.

Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:37 PM
  • > Serioously?

Yes, seriously. It's closer to 4 than to 5 years. And given the delay (one must be out of control if stating this change doesn't affect the availability date...) 5 years is way to short.

Also, WHS is not a "normal"consumer product.  Or is it me, not being normal here?

Jan 2008 through Jan 2013 is 5 years: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.

And I'm not defending the removal of DE. I'm sure Microsoft would like me to, but I'd rather lose my MVP status than ____ myself out that way. I think Microsoft has suffered a collective cranio-rectal inversion. This may be a good decision for the business oriented Aurora and Breckenridge products, but it's a terrible one for the consumer-oriented Vail. There are small areas of good (if you want to use FlexRaid you can now) but they don't make up for the bad.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Now you're talking. Maybe this is what you meant initially (but I didn't read it that way).

> Jan 2008 through Jan 2013 is 5 years: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.

Uhh.. it is 5..... (but it feels more like four.. ;-) ).

> Serioously?

Jan 2008 through Jan 2013 is 5 years: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.

And I'm not defending the removal of DE. I'm sure Microsoft would like me to, but I'd rather lose my MVP status than ____ myself out that way. I think Microsoft has suffered a collective cranio-rectal inversion. This may be a good decision for the business oriented Aurora and Breckenridge products, but it's a terrible one for the consumer-oriented Vail. There are small areas of good (if you want to use FlexRaid you can now) but they don't make up for the bad.

Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Interesting. The "w" word doesn't pass the filters. Good. :)
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 7:57 PM
  • So what actually happens on 08/2013? Will WHS stop working? My concern is that I'm using it as storage only (backups of data and computers) and don't want to loose any data (I protect a few terabytes using folder duplication). Will it keep working? I'm definately skipping Vail because it's missing DE and I don't want to deal with RAID to have 6-8 terabytes volume.

Thank you.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 7:19 PM
  • So what actually happens on 08/2013? Will WHS stop working? My concern is that I'm using it as storage only (backups of data and computers) and don't want to loose any data (I protect a few terabytes using folder duplication). Will it keep working? I'm definately skipping Vail because it's missing DE and I don't want to deal with RAID to have 6-8 terabytes volume.

Thank you.

It's a Thursday, so probably not much ... :)

Apart from that it should keep working. The software will not be subject to any turn off (same as most retail products) but there would be no further fixes or updates. So you are left to your own devices.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:18 PM
  • 1/8/2013. January, not August.

So what actually happens on 08/2013? Will WHS stop working? My concern is that I'm using it as storage only (backups of data and computers) and don't want to loose any data (I protect a few terabytes using folder duplication). Will it keep working? I'm definately skipping Vail because it's missing DE and I don't want to deal with RAID to have 6-8 terabytes volume.

Thank you.

It's a Thursday, so probably not much ... :)

Apart from that it should keep working. The software will not be subject to any turn off (same as most retail products) but there would be no further fixes or updates. So you are left to your own devices.

Have a nice day!
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Leen wrote -

1/8/2013. January, not August.

Oh dear!  How un-American of me.

Sorry.

Monday, February 28, 2011 10:30 AM
  • "David A Tucker" wrote in message news:7197711d-fd84-4c53-ba36-ee606ca57d2e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

<Oh dear!  How un-American of me.

Hehehe, I guess you could call Leen un-American too, since he is in the Netherlands.

Moral of the story? Don't assume . . . it could make an A$$ of U and ME.

Nancy Ward
    Monday, February 28, 2011 4:12 PM
  • :-). I make that kind of "mistake" too sometimes. But less frequent then it was years ago. Heck I learn.. ;-)

"David A Tucker" wrote in message news:7197711d-fd84-4c53-ba36-ee606ca57d2e@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

<Oh dear!  How un-American of me.

Hehehe, I guess you could call Leen un-American too, since he is in the Netherlands.

Moral of the story? Don't assume . . . it could make an A$$ of U and ME.

Nancy Ward

Have a nice day!
    Monday, February 28, 2011 4:30 PM
  • :-). I make that kind of "mistake" too sometimes. But less frequent then it was years ago. Heck I learn.. ;-)

I learn too . . . I found out early on that we're a huge melting pot of humanity here.

Nancy Ward
    Monday, February 28, 2011 4:52 PM