Xbox 360 Cannot Connect RRS feed

• Question

• Well, I ran into another issue.  This one is a little more baffling as I have read through the other similar threads, and from what I've gleaned, this should be a no-brainer.

Since everything is working fairly well now, I decided to go ahead and start sharing my media to my 360.  When I log into my 360, I go to the Media tab and attempt to setup where my media is stored.  It sees my server, but when I choose the server, it comes back with an error stating it "Cannot connect ...".  I then logged into the WHS to check Media Sharing; all of the choices are "On". 

I can connect back to my Vista machine with no issue, but as soon as I try and connect to the WHS, this same error occurs. 

My network is a wired network with everything in the same workgroup.  And, as stated before, I can SEE the WHS, I just can't connect to it; at least from the 360.  My Vista machine (which the 360 can connect to) can see the WHS fine, and vice-versa.

Just as a goof, I did try installing WME onto the WHS as Administrator, but that is a no-go.  I received a "non-compatible update" error ... or something like that.

Any ideas?

Sunday, July 22, 2007 6:17 PM

Answers

• Shut off the Media Sharing, reboot your Windows Home Server, turn on the Media Sharing libraries and see if it works then.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 2:24 AM

All replies

• I just thought of something ...

Could this be a Rights issue?  Does there have to be a username the same as my Xbox Account name included on the WHS?  Can you use the Guest account?

Sunday, July 22, 2007 6:20 PM
  • Shut off the Media Sharing, reboot your Windows Home Server, turn on the Media Sharing libraries and see if it works then.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 2:24 AM
  • Hate to admit it, but that worked!  Easy and painless, just how I like it!  Thanx Joel!

Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:22 AM
  • I find that the server needs rebooting everytime I want to access it via the Xbox
    Strying to stop or restart the service doesn't work as it fails to respond
    Thursday, September 6, 2007 6:47 PM
  • You need to turn on the guest account the reboot both server and xbox.

That is what worked for me.

Thursday, September 6, 2007 9:12 PM

• The problem "need to reboot WHS in order to get Xbox 360 to connect" is mentioned in several postings in the forums.

Has anyone found a fix for this, or are we awaiting an update from Microsoft??

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:14 PM

• Tonight the XBOX 360 lost connection with the server in the middle of playing back some video. A quick investigation in the log showed that the service WMconnectCDS had stopped. This is the windows media connect service.... so I manually restarted it and voila normal service was resumed. Much better than rebooting the server but still a pain.

Event id was 14203 but Microsoft has nothing specific on this.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 11:04 PM