Installing WHS with Raid 5 - from Intel RRS feed

• Question

• I'm attempting to do an original install with the Windows Home Server package on a system that has successfully configured 3 sata drives into a raid 5 configuration.  WHS stops and asks for the driver, but still can't find a suitable drive to install to using the Intel IASTOR.INF driver files.

Any suggestions???

Dee  
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 10:16 PM

Answers

• Hello Dee,
    Windows Home Server does not support RAID, so you should address the disks as single drives.
    Please read the thread http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2008/08/11/why-raid-is-not-a-consumer-technology.aspx for some informations why.
    Instead Windows Home Servers offers a feature, named folder duplication to create a copy of your important shared folders by selection. It also allows to add multiple disks to a storage pool, which is one big disk from the clients point of view.
    If you need to install RAID anyway, you will need to supply the drivers on a floppy disk during the classic screen stage of setup, in first stage also an USB stick would do it.
    The drivers must be Windows Server 2003 compatible.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 11:31 PM

All replies

• Hello Dee,
    Windows Home Server does not support RAID, so you should address the disks as single drives.
    Please read the thread http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver/archive/2008/08/11/why-raid-is-not-a-consumer-technology.aspx for some informations why.
    Instead Windows Home Servers offers a feature, named folder duplication to create a copy of your important shared folders by selection. It also allows to add multiple disks to a storage pool, which is one big disk from the clients point of view.
    If you need to install RAID anyway, you will need to supply the drivers on a floppy disk during the classic screen stage of setup, in first stage also an USB stick would do it.
    The drivers must be Windows Server 2003 compatible.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 11:31 PM
  • olaf,

In using the NLite program, I streamed the Intel drivers into a WHS disk, but the program only recognized the core Server 2003 component.  Thus, during install, while the finished product called itself WHS, the actual install was Server 2003.  But in doing this process the drivers worked.  In doing the WHS process, the Intel drivers weren't accepted.

I have no need to beat this to death, or prolong the clients wait to get their server, I just wanted to make the final product as 'bullet-proof' as possible.

Thanks for your help!!

Dee
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:00 PM

• Dee,

Did you make sure to set the BIOS settings on the motherboard to "RAID" prior to installing?

Thursday, November 6, 2008 9:11 PM
  • Besides that, be aware, that the maximum disk size WHS supports is 2 TB. So if your RAID array is larger, that could trigger the next setup error.
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 10:24 PM