Bug Reporting -- There is no place on Microsoft Connect RRS feed

• Question

• Found a bug in the lookup table creation page of Project Server 2010 -- there's no place on Microsoft Connect to report it..

On the Lookuptable editor where the values and levels are defined, there is an expot to Excel button (nice touch ).   The file produced really isn't an excel spreadsheet ( looks to be the excel 2003 xml format ) however, the processing instruction has been omitted from the xml file.

<?mso-application progid="Excel.Sheet"?>

the missing processing instruction causes excel to hang since excel is attempting to open the xml file as a .xsl ( 2003 version spreadsheet)..

If the file is opened from Excel (File->Open) things work just fine.. Just add the processing instruction to the output please..

All science is either physics or stamp collecting
    Friday, August 20, 2010 6:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Guyo,

To answer your first question, the Microsoft Connect is for beta releases and reporting bugs in the betas. So, once the product is release the bug reporting is closed.  However, you bring a good question to mind.  How do you report bugs?  I have always assumed, that the Microsoft folks look in the forums for bugs and issues.

It looks like you found the work around for this issue.  That's great!

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Monday, August 23, 2010 1:39 PM
  • According to Microsoft, Premier Support is the best way.

Ben Howard [MVP] http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/
    Monday, August 23, 2010 2:56 PM
  • Sorry but no -- here's the tag line from Microsoft Connect ---

Microsoft
    Connect

Your feedback improving Microsoft products
    If you'll look at the list of products, there are quite a  few current products.. Channel 9 ,  Dynamics, etc.
    Reporting a bug through PSS is a real pain especially since I don't have any support tickets left and (in this case there is not real work-around) ... By the time you call, go through 2-3 "screeners"  you've blow an hour --  Sorry but I can write it up, provide the starting state a whole lot faster than I can explain it to somebody in a call center..
    Also, when a bug is reported through Connect you can get a status on the bug..  I got no way to track it in PSS.. Sorry.

All science is either physics or stamp collecting
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:40 AM
  • Now that Project is released Microsoft Premier is the recommended approach to log any issue. We leverage Connect for beta versions/future releases of the product.
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:51 AM
  • You have to be premier to report a bug??  What???
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:38 PM
  • No, Premier is the best way, but if you don't have a support contract, you can report a bug by phoning support.
    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 9:42 PM