IIS requirement? RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to have ended up in a cul-du-sac here. Still struggling to get the connector established, but can access server folders directly from explorer and other programs. I can run the WHS console from Remote Desktop. The connector installer finds the server and starts installing but fails.

The troubleshooter points to IIS and Firewall. There seems to be a remedy for the Firewall as I understand it, but that requires giving IIS_WPG the required rights. The thing is that cannot find any trace of IIS on my server. Is that a mandatory module?

In Add windows component I can add IIS as part of Application Server. Is this a viable way? I don't want to mess up things further - after all I can live with situation and make my backups manually. I fail to reinstall. A new installation with take me a couple of weeks with my 20TB storage.

Hope for some expert help here.

Finn

Monday, March 14, 2011 10:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Finn,
    following questions:

• Do your installed clients still work well?
    • Which error message do you get?
    • Are there any messages in the event log of your WHS during the time of your failed connection attempts?
    • Did you install additional software on the server?
    • Which security suite you are using on the client, and would the installation work, if the security software is uninstalled?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, March 14, 2011 12:30 PM
  • Hi Finn,
    following questions:

• Do your installed clients still work well?
    • Which error message do you get?
    • Are there any messages in the event log of your WHS during the time of your failed connection attempts?
    • Did you install additional software on the server?
    • Which security suite you are using on the client, and would the installation work, if the security software is uninstalled?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thank you Olaf for engaging in my problem. So much has been written about this issue and I am totally confused.

I have 3 client, 2 Windows 7 and 1 XP. I have no problems with these. None connects.

The error message, occurring just after supplying the server passord is " This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problem persists please contact Product Support.

The server Event Wiewer reports no unnormalities, but I get errors messages on one of my Win 7 clients (not the other). In the applications section I get CAPI2, event ID 4107 stating that I have a problem when I extract third-party-root. A required certificate is not withon its validity period when veryfying against the current system clock otr the timestamp in the signed file.

I run the following additional software on the server: HighPoint Web RAID management (no RAID though), Ccleaner, uTorrent and 7-ZIP File Manager. The most recent is the 7-Zip Manager, the others I have used for months. I'll deinstall that one, just to be safe.

I use Avast both on server and clients. Tried to install connector with Avast uninstalled. Same behaviour.

And greeting from a Norwegian in Sweden!

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:37 PM