What are the options for DIY small size WHS (similar to HP or other NAS Boxes) RRS feed

• Question

• I've been looking around at the options for building a system (I just love the torture) and haven't seen much in the way of NAS-sized boxes, other than shuttles which are still larger than they need to be but with only room for 2 HDs.  So what are some of the options for box, mobo and power supply to make it the form factor of a NAS but better parts and a reasonable cost?   I don't really want a PC sized box, I have enough of those already

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 8:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding the case, you will these small factore like for htpc and a like, example as:

Link1 Link2 as example, and check this SITE you will like it, as they have many items to make your pc very quiet.

My best.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 9:57 PM
  • Shuttle PCs a nuff room for three HDD with a floppy drive not installed http://global.shuttle.com/WhyXPC/Why_index.asp

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 10:24 PM
  • Hi,

And good quality indeed, RIchard Smile

My best.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 10:48 PM
  •  abobader wrote:
    Hi,

And good quality indeed, RIchard

My best.

Yep the Shuttles are small and silent, I have one, had it for two years and love it.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:05 PM
  • Thanks for the links!  I was hoping for something more oriented around a NAS, but these are nice.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:37 PM
  • Those are nice, I guess I need to look closer.  I suppose with an adapter you could utilize the 5.25 space for another drive making a total of 4, correct?
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:38 PM
  •  Black Belt wrote:
    Thanks for the links!  I was hoping for something more oriented around a NAS, but these are nice.

Maybe I missunderstand the case you after, regarding looking similar like NAS? then you are after rackmount cases (most of them can be placed on desktop tho), in the link above you can as well find a rackmount link.

But for home, and nice one, small factor, RIchard link is good.

My best.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 11:51 PM
  •  Black Belt wrote:
    Those are nice, I guess I need to look closer.  I suppose with an adapter you could utilize the 5.25 space for another drive making a total of 4, correct?

Yes there is room for 4 HDDs with out the dvd drive and the floppy drive, the Shuttle I have has 2 sata and 2 IDE, maybe the new Shuttle will have 4 sata ( not sure). 

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 12:24 AM
  •  Richard A Miller wrote:

Shuttle PCs a nuff room for three HDD with a floppy drive not installed http://global.shuttle.com/WhyXPC/Why_index.asp

IMHO the Shuttle PC' are still too large. I have a SN25P and don't want/need another one for my WHS box. I also want something that can be fanless.

I believe it is going to take awhile before we see cases that designed for NAS/WHS DIY'ers. I wish that wern't the case (no pun intended) but I'm afraid it is. Hopefully if WHS really takes off we'll see the big MOBO and case companies start designing and selling into the market.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 8:06 PM