Trouble Restoring a Money 2002 backup file RRS feed

• Question

• I have a running Windows XP laptop (Dell Inspiron 9400) recently decommissioned with my Money 2002 data. I need to move the Money data to my new hardware running Windows 7. Because I don’t have another version of Money available I downloaded the Money Plus Deluxe (sunset) version. My attempts to restore the 2002 backup file to the sunset version times out when "converting files".

I have tried several times and even uninstalled and reinstalled the sunset software. I have also attempted some suggestions found on this forum...like: copying the backup data to my hard drive from the thumb drive, not using the default restore and attempting to repair the backup data (no problems with the data)...with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.<o:p></o:p>

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:08 AM

All replies

• I believe that Money 2002 files require an intermediate step to be readable by Money Plus Deluxe (sunset).  See this knowledge base article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919524/en-us

The link to Money 2004 on that page is now dead, but this link to Money 2005 may work for you:

http://g.msn.com/0MCUSENSTATIC/MARCOLPSDOWNLOAD

Let us know if this helps.

Bill Becker

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:30 AM
  • Michael, Bill's suggestion of using the intermediate Money 2005 to effect the conversion may solve things for you if you are in the US and you want to run Money Plus Deluxe Sunset. If you want some options, here are some questions:

1. Are you in North America?

2. Are you running 32-bit Windows 7, or 64-bit?

3. Do you still have the Money 2002 installation disk?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 3:18 AM
  • Thank you Bill for the speedy reply.

I followed your instructions to no avail. Like the Sunset version, the recently installed Money 2005 stalls in the "CONVERTING FILES" process. (FYI: Additionally I uninstalled the Sunset version and changed the system date to 12/31/04 and 12/31/2005??? hoping this might help).

According to the KB article the work around was 2002 to 2004. Do you think the 2005 version presents the same issues as 2006?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:28 PM
  • Hi Cal,

Thanks for your consern and speedy reply.

I would be very interested in options unfortunately...as Bill's suggestion did not work.

To answer your questions:

1). Yes...the Great State of Michigan, in fact

2). 64-bit Windows 7

3). No...I can not locate the 2002 install disk

Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:32 PM
  • First, note that for Money 2005 or Money Plus, when it attempts a conversion of a Money 2002 file, it will leave a *.m10 file, which was a copy of your Money 2002 data file at the time of conversion. Hold on to that file, and make a copy on other media. Also keep a copy of your *.mbf files on other media.

Regarding Bill's suggestion, at what stage did it not work? And what error message did you get? I would try to see if that Money 2005 trial could convert the *.m10 file to make a *.mny file. Then let Money Plus Deluxe Sunset convert that *.mny file.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:40 PM
  • Cal,

Neither the Money Plus Deluxe Sunset or Money 2005 got to the stage of converting the Money 2002 backup file (.mbf) to a *.m10 file.

The steps I excuted were:

1. choose "Restore a backup file",

2. selected the location of the backup file and specified a location of the converted file

3. Entered the password of the Money 2002 file

Following that the program indicates its "CONVERTING FILE" and freezes.

Friday, January 25, 2013 5:33 AM
  • Do you have your old *.mny from the old computer?

Friday, January 25, 2013 6:05 AM
  • Dominic,

The version of Money 2002 (and data) is loaded on a working XP machine, though I do not have the CD used to load the software on that XP machine.

I'm sure the copy of Money 2002 was store purchased (if thats what you're asking)

Friday, January 25, 2013 7:27 PM
  • Dominic,

The version of Money 2002 (and data) is loaded on a working XP machine, though I do not have the CD used to load the software on that XP machine.

Copy the recent *.mny file from your working XP machine to a flash drive. Copy that file to  your Documents folder on the new machine as Michael1.mny . Open Money Sunset. Try to make a  repaired version of Michael1.mny from Money Plus Sunset with File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2. Choose name Michael2.mny for that repaired file.  If that is successful, open the repaired version in Sunset.

Alternatively, you could just try opening Michael1.mny in Sunset first.

Friday, January 25, 2013 7:38 PM
  • The problem is that Sunset on your new system is not allowed access to the Money data files on the XP system.

Do as Cal says: copy the .mny file to Documents in the new system and open it with Sunset. You might need to install US Money 2005 as an intermediate conversion step, as advised in the first, sticky post in this forum.

Friday, January 25, 2013 7:55 PM
  • Gentlemen,<o:p></o:p>

Thank you for your kind and timely assistance in my critical mission!<o:p></o:p>

My attempt to repair the .mny file (in Money 2005), as instructed, failed. The error generated follows:<o:p></o:p>

Required salvage dlls (j3salv.dll and rsalv.dll) couldn't be found.<o:p></o:p>

My attempt to load directly from the .mny file (again using Money 2005) also failed.<o:p></o:p>

If you think it would be help to reload Sunset and try the same steps, please advise.<o:p></o:p>

Monday, January 28, 2013 6:11 AM
  • Dominic,

Thank you for your kind and timely assistance in my critical mission!

My attempt to repair the .mny file (in Money 2005), as instructed, failed. The error generated follows:

Required salvage dlls (j3salv.dll and rsalv.dll) couldn't be found.

My attempt to load directly from the .mny file (again using Money 2005) also failed.

If you think it would be help to reload Sunset and try the same steps, please advise.

Monday, January 28, 2013 6:13 AM
  • .If you think it would be help to reload Sunset and try the same steps, please advise.

Yes. Install Sunset onto the new machine, and try the file repair of the *.mny file that was copied from your older system using Sunset.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 6:17 AM
  • SUCESS!!!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH
    Monday, January 28, 2013 7:08 AM
  • I have a MSMoney 99 files and working properly but I would like to convert it to MS Money Plus Business & Home (lastest version) and I am facing the same issue as described above.

I removed newest version and install MS Money 2005 to convert 99 to 2005 but I got the follwing message 

Required salvage dlls (j3salv.dll and rsalv.dll) couldn't be found.

I am using Windows 7 64-bits

Saturday, July 25, 2015 4:59 PM
  • I could not get the Sunset version to accept my Money 99 file either. It kept saying it was waiting for an update needed to perform the conversion.  I ended up installing Money 99 on both W7 and W8.1 and it is working fine.
    Saturday, July 25, 2015 6:08 PM