How to share specified contents of a backup RRS feed

• Question

• My problem is that I keep all my iTunes music and photos on my main PC. This is backed up to WHS and I would like to be able to share the iTunes music and photos from that backup to the other laptops in the house. I don't want to manually copy the music and photos to the WHS default shares for this. I have tried this with various sync toys and robocopy etc. Is there a way I can just share out the contents of this backup?

I know I can use the WHS to store the originals but photo editing etc over a wireless network is not acceptable in my situation. Is it possible to have the best of both worlds? - local editing and network sharing for the other devices!

Any help is appriciated.

Martin

Saturday, June 27, 2009 8:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Martin,
    you can't share the backups. Windows Home Server stores files in shared folders, and it stores the backups in a separate database. In this database the files are stored in form of blocks and references, and if you access a backup via console, they are puzzled together by the WHS. There are no other means to access the backup database.

So the only choices you have, are either to store the files on the server shares or to share them from your PC or to store them on each PC locally.

Also nothing blocks you from sharing the pictures and copy them temporary to the local disk for editing and after that back.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Millarma Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:28 AM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Martin,
    you can't share the backups. Windows Home Server stores files in shared folders, and it stores the backups in a separate database. In this database the files are stored in form of blocks and references, and if you access a backup via console, they are puzzled together by the WHS. There are no other means to access the backup database.

So the only choices you have, are either to store the files on the server shares or to share them from your PC or to store them on each PC locally.

Also nothing blocks you from sharing the pictures and copy them temporary to the local disk for editing and after that back.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, June 27, 2009 2:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Millarma Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:28 AM
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 11:16 AM
  • To share files with multiple computers using Windows Home Server, you have to put them in the server's shares. The backups aren't exposed the way you want. For your photos, that would probably mean that you edit them on your local PC, then when you're done you copy them to the Photos share on your server.

For your iTunes music, I would suggest a slightly different route. Copy the contents of your library (I am assuming there is one central PC which owns all media if you're using iTunes) to your server's Music share, then install Firefly on your server. Installing Firefly is a bit of a chore by Windows standards, but in brief:
    • Install Apple's Bonjour service on your server. Install only Bonjour itself, not any of the additional stuff, and especially not the updater.
    • Get the Windows Firefly installer from here and install it on your server.
    • Configure Firefly (there's not a lot of documentation, as it's an open source project, but see the Firefly web site ) to point to the Music share on your server: \\server\Music (assuming your server is named "server", otherwise use the right name).
    • Optionally, there's a Firefly add-in for Windows Home Server here . It allows a little extra control of Firefly through a settings page in your server's console.
    Firefly should allow you to stream from your server to all your home computers. This will look, on your home computers, very much like an iTunes library that's shared from some other computer.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 1:53 PM
  • Thanks for all the advice guys I didn't think it would be straight forward.  I may end up going back down the sync route and I'm looking at Microsofts RichCopy... robocopy on steriods or so they say :-)

Thanks,
    Martin
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 10:28 AM