Transfering license for Windows Vista RRS feed

• Question

• How do I notify Microsof that the computer I first instaled my retail copy of Vista ultmate is no longer in existence I am building a new machine with new motherboard,graphics card harddrive but the same penyum4 prosessor and want to install operating system I used on previous machine in the new one. Since I bought Vista retail I should be able to transfer to new machine. When I try ot transfer I get a "license already in use" message. Please help!

Monday, March 3, 2008 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

You have done everything correct except that to Activate Vista, you must do so by Phone. (Retail versions of Vista can only be activated over the Internet, the first time it is activated). If you are unsure how to Activate by Phone, please follow one of the below steps:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enterand follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to tansfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, March 3, 2008 8:16 PM
  • Hello News5,

No, to resolve your issue, there are different steps.

Computer built by large manufacturers (such as HP) that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys:

1) OEM SLP: This key come in Vista when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Vista was installed using the OEM SLP key  (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and see the special instructions and Activates itself. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

2) COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side of your computer. It's a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations. The key does require activation, but you must Activate by Phone.

So, as you can see, the motherboard is importent for a OEM SLP Product Key to work. Normally when a Motherboard is replaced by the Manufacturer, they will replace it with another board that has the special instructions. But sometimes that doesn't happen or sometime the interface between Vista and the special instructions doesn't work correctly, this is one of those limited situations that the COA SLP key should be used.

You can Click the Start button then Right-click on Computer and then select Properties.

In the window that pops up, click "Change Product Key" and follow the directions to change out the OEM SLP key for the COA SLP key (found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer).

When you go to Activate Windows using the COA SLP key, be sure to use the Activate by Phone method.

Hope that helps,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

You have done everything correct except that to Activate Vista, you must do so by Phone. (Retail versions of Vista can only be activated over the Internet, the first time it is activated). If you are unsure how to Activate by Phone, please follow one of the below steps:

a) If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type in "slui.exe 4" in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b) If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enterand follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The key to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to tansfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Monday, March 3, 2008 8:16 PM
  •  

HP repaired my wife's laptop by replacing the motherboard last month, and now Vista is saying it's not genuine. This is the Vista installed when the computer was purchased. Do I follow the same procedures you list here?
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 12:57 PM
  • Hello News5,

No, to resolve your issue, there are different steps.

Computer built by large manufacturers (such as HP) that come with Vista Pre-installed come with two (2) Product Keys:

1) OEM SLP: This key come in Vista when it comes from the Factory. This key is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Vista was installed using the OEM SLP key  (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and see the special instructions and Activates itself. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home)

2) COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side of your computer. It's a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations. The key does require activation, but you must Activate by Phone.

So, as you can see, the motherboard is importent for a OEM SLP Product Key to work. Normally when a Motherboard is replaced by the Manufacturer, they will replace it with another board that has the special instructions. But sometimes that doesn't happen or sometime the interface between Vista and the special instructions doesn't work correctly, this is one of those limited situations that the COA SLP key should be used.

You can Click the Start button then Right-click on Computer and then select Properties.

In the window that pops up, click "Change Product Key" and follow the directions to change out the OEM SLP key for the COA SLP key (found on the sticker on the side or bottom of your computer).

When you go to Activate Windows using the COA SLP key, be sure to use the Activate by Phone method.

Hope that helps,

Darin Smith

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:12 PM
  • I didn't have to talk to a live rep when I did a retail license transfer of Vista Ultimate (dead motherboard). I gave the necessary info (installation ID) to the automated bot, who came back seconds later with the valid confirmation code.

As Darin said, a license transfer won't work with online activation.
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 3:50 PM