none
possible forum bug RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I signin to MSDN forums, and click on forums home. the administrator/moderator forums do not show up on the forum. I have to click on my-threads, and then on a moderator post, and then back to forum home for the administrator/moderator area to show up. It has been doing this for about a week now. I can still navigate, but it is a nussence. Is this a bug?
    Diana Microsoft Partner http://djarts-express.spaces.live.com
    • Edited by djartsinc Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:22 PM more info
    Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:21 PM

Answers

• I've created a bug for this. We'll repro and investiage the problem.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, July 13, 2009 4:49 PM
  • That's it. 1 Profile has rights to access Moderator/Admin/Partner forums where as the other profile doesn't have moderator rights. It's actually not an issue with Live/Passport services but currently by design. Although, I'm not sure how MSN.com ties with passport services.

When you sign-in to Forums the first time with a new or different live id, it will redirect you to the profile page to create a new profile (new display name). Currently, the profile used for Forum is a 1 to 1 mapping against a Live ID account. Having said that, you now have 2 separate profiles with 2 different live id accounts. Afaik, MSN.com is not a valid passport domain. Usually for passport (free service), it's live.com and hotmail.com.

Your account djartsinc@msn.com, I'm sure you've used to register in the partner portal. We have sync process in the background that associates your live ID against partner registration. I just looked at this displayname (djartsinc) and I do see that this account (with this displayname), is a partner and moderator to some Forums.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Hi Alicia,

I am so sorry, I found your email you sent me almost a month ago requesting my new email profile. I acidently moved it to another folder. I replyed to it with my new email address EMAIL REMOVED (Diana Jean) and a list of the forum mod permissions that I need transfered to the new profile. I already have access to admin and mod area in bing search dev. and my control pannel. all the others on the lst still need to be transfered.

Thanks,
    Diana

Diana, Microsoft Partner
    Monday, September 21, 2009 12:00 PM

All replies

• Sounds like a bug, may related to the home page cache or something. We'll have to try reproing it. Thanks for the report.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by djartsinc Sunday, July 12, 2009 5:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by djartsinc Sunday, July 12, 2009 5:15 PM
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 2:19 AM
    Answerer
  • This is not a new bug, it has behaved this way from day one of the V4 version. 

Hans Passant.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 1:10 PM
  • So, the forum team needs to fix this

I unmarked the answer to leave this thread open
    • Edited by djartsinc Sunday, July 12, 2009 5:19 PM more info
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 5:17 PM
  • I've created a bug for this. We'll repro and investiage the problem.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, July 13, 2009 4:49 PM
  • Hi All,

Quick update. The team must have fixed something, because, now the forum loads perfect every time. Admin/Mod areas show up just like they should. Thanks
    • Edited by djartsinc Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:55 PM more input
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 2:54 PM
  • Yesterday we had an issue with our aggregator service in the backend. This is probably not the fix however there could have been passport/live issues at the same time.

I get the same problem if I log in to Forums and I don't see my display name on the upper right corner of the masthead. If this occurs, then I don't see the mod Forums. I click on sign-in again, display name shows then I see the mod Forums. This issue is not specific to Forums rather passport (intermittently).

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009 4:47 PM
  • Update,

For a few days, forum was loading fine with admin/mod area visable. This morning it went back to messing up again, admin/mod area not visable. Have to click on my threads, click on mod post, and then forums home to make admin/mod area visable. I guess this bug isn't fixed yet
    • Edited by djartsinc Friday, July 17, 2009 6:17 PM more input
    Friday, July 17, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Hi Diana,

Are you still seeing the issue?

STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:56 AM
  • Hi Don,

Yes, the issue is still happening. I have cleared my browser, deleted all temp files, and done everything else I can think of, but no change. I have IE8 on Vista Home Premium. I don't know what else to try

Quick Question? Could this problem be caused by live services. The reason i ask is this. At home, i use djartsinc@msn.com to signin to the forums. This id is used for partners, forums, and anything related to microsoft. But at work i use djartsinc@live.com . A couple of times, i have accedently signed into the forums with my work id, but when i noticed it, i signed out and signed back in with my home id. So, i have 2 usernames in the forums djartsinc and dianajean. Could this have caused the problem.
    • Edited by djartsinc Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:29 PM correction
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:59 PM
  • That's it. 1 Profile has rights to access Moderator/Admin/Partner forums where as the other profile doesn't have moderator rights. It's actually not an issue with Live/Passport services but currently by design. Although, I'm not sure how MSN.com ties with passport services.

When you sign-in to Forums the first time with a new or different live id, it will redirect you to the profile page to create a new profile (new display name). Currently, the profile used for Forum is a 1 to 1 mapping against a Live ID account. Having said that, you now have 2 separate profiles with 2 different live id accounts. Afaik, MSN.com is not a valid passport domain. Usually for passport (free service), it's live.com and hotmail.com.

Your account djartsinc@msn.com, I'm sure you've used to register in the partner portal. We have sync process in the background that associates your live ID against partner registration. I just looked at this displayname (djartsinc) and I do see that this account (with this displayname), is a partner and moderator to some Forums.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:01 PM
  • Hi Don,

5 years ago, when i first opened my partners membership, i opened it with my msn.com email address.it was also my passport id, I also became moderator for onecare, msdn, and technet under the same id. Then in 2007, i created the live.com email address to use at work. I tryed then to tansfer partner membership and moderator status to that id at live.com because i mainly use that id
    But, was unsucessful, so i continued to use the msn.com id for microsoft sites. Again, after the new platforms, i tryed to transfer partners and mod statuses to djartsinc@live.com. I use this id most of the time, but am unable to transfer anything. I am currently moderator in msdn brand, Microsoft brand, and expression web brand. Is there a way to transfer my partners, and my moderator rights to djartsinc@live.com, ?
    This would allow me to use only one id for everything.

Diana Microsoft Partner
    • Edited by djartsinc Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:00 PM more info
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:54 PM
  • Regarding the partner status to djartsinc@live.com, that we'll have to dig in further. About granting moderator rights, that can be done. I just need to ping certain folks on this.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    • Marked as answer by djartsinc Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:06 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by djartsinc Monday, August 10, 2009 8:46 PM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Thank you so much, Don. That would make everything so much easier. If possible to transfer everything to djartsinc@live.com, i can stop using msn.com completely, and only use my work id at djartsinc@live.com Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.
    Diana Microsoft Partner
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:05 PM
  • I've pinged several folks regarding the moderator rights transfer. I'll update the thread once I get more info.

Thanks.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:21 PM
  • Thanks Don, I'll keep checking this thread for updates. This may help, If you check with Alicia Cales, she knows all of my moderator status's in the forum's now, including pending mod status to mse, as it is onecares replacement. She can give you all information. Thanks

Diana Microsoft Partner
    • Edited by djartsinc Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:43 PM more info
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:34 PM
  • Yup. I closely work Alicia and she manages our support team and have pinged her on this :).
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:46 PM
  • Thanks
    Diana Microsoft Partner
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:58 PM
  • Hi,

Quick Question,

I'm not sure if this issue is related, but, I had msdn subscription in 2005 and 2006, but for the past 3 years I haven't been able to renew it because the service doesn't recognise my partner ID's, business or personal membership, at djartsinc@msn.com It gives the error (partner id not recognized). 2007 is when live services came in. Is this a also related to my id?
    Diana Microsoft Partner
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:55 PM
  • This issue most likely is specific to your MSDN subscription. If your msn account is tied with the partner program, I'm assuming it should recognize you. This site may help.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:43 PM
  • Hi Don,

It doesn't recognize me. But I had already given up on that one. Connecting current permissions to djartsinc@live.com is more important, right now. If the big issues get fixed, the little ones will take care of themselves. Thanks for the link. Again, I appreciate your willingness to help.
    Diana Microsoft Partner
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Btw, I've already spoken to Alicia and she's following up on your moderator right access.

Thanks.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:56 AM
  • Hi Don, thanks. Alicia is in vegas, wish her luck. She has been awsome about helping me, she will fix it when she gets back. Update: I have been working on the partner permissions for live.com ID, but have hit a couple roadblocks. I signed up for partner membership with the live.com id, I changed all my contacts to live.com in member center and associated the live.com id with my organization, Roadblock 1, I cannot get the live id to associate with the forums, so I can only access the partner platform with the old msn.com id. Roadblock 2, I have problems signing in to partners site with the new id sometimes. But i have filed a support case with partners for the roadblocks.

• Edited by djartsinc Friday, July 24, 2009 11:38 PM more info
    Friday, July 24, 2009 11:34 PM
  • I signed up for partner membership with the live.com id, I changed all my contacts to live.com in member center and associated the live.com id with my organization,
    Is this the existing Live ID account you currently use to sign-in to Forums or brand new live ID account? I'm assuming the first one.
    If this is the exsting Live ID account and this account is now registered to the partner program/portal you should get the partner affiliation and access to the partner forums.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, July 27, 2009 5:34 PM
  • Just checked. Your Profile now has the partner affilication (Microsoft Partner). You should be able to access  the partner forums. If not, let me know.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Monday, July 27, 2009 5:35 PM
  • The old id was djartsinc@msn.com . The new id that i just changed my partner account to is djartsinc@live.com I am signed in with the new id now. But the partner platform is not vissable with this id.
    Diana, Microsoft Partner
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:09 AM
  • Got it. I see the displayname is different now too :). (Diana Jean). When do you made the update? It usually takes 48 hours for the partner affiliation to show up.

STO Forums Test Lead
    • Marked as answer by djartsinc Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:35 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by djartsinc Monday, August 10, 2009 8:47 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:14 AM
  • Hi Don,

I just got it updated a couple hours ago. Partner support helped with it. I didn't know it took 48 hours. Thanks. I'll waite a couple of days to see what happens.
    Diana, Microsoft Partner
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:17 AM
  • Great. Post back if you don't have access still.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:09 PM
  • I just got it updated a couple hours ago. Partner support helped with it. I didn't know it took 48 hours. Thanks. I'll waite a couple of days to see what happens.

Just checked. Your display name "Diana Jean" has the "Microsoft Partner" affiliation now. You should also have acces to the partner newsgroups.

Thanks
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:12 PM
  • Hi Don,

I have access to the partner platform. Thank you so much for all your help. I am good-to-go now.
    Diana, Microsoft Partner http://djarts-express.spaces.live.com
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Good to hear.
    STO Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:54 PM
  • Hi Don,

I have not heard anything from alicia yet, about transfering mod status to this ID, have you heard anything?
    Diana, Microsoft Partner
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:40 PM
  • She's working with Forum Owners to validate the request. I'll ping her about it.

STO Forums Test Lead
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:26 PM
  • Hi Don,

Thanks. If you haven't already pinged her, when you do, can you remind her of 2 things. I still need mod status in mse forums. Also I have mod status in windows live search dev forums. The forum was moved to bing community. But i wasn't moved with the forum. So, currently i am a moderator for a dead forum, need mod rights in bing please..
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Hi Don,

Live.com id with partners is working great, again thanks. As for the mod rights transfer, is there any updates yet? I have sent alicia a couple emails but have not recieved responce yet. I am having problems the way it is now. I can answer questions just fine with djartsinc@live.com . However, To perform moderator duties for the forums that i am a moderator for, i have to sign out and sign back in with the old id at djartsinc@msn.com. This is causing live signin issues, and is confusing to the users, as well as myself. It would be much easier to just use my new id djartsinc@live.com for everything. Please, if you have any updates, please notify me,

Update:
    My alerts from the forum posts are not working now. I am only getting alerts from 2 forums, live space developement and live mesh. No alerts from anywhere else. I am not sure if this is related to the double id's. Should i stop using the msn.com address untill this is fixed?. Not sure what to do now?

• Edited by Diana Jean Monday, August 10, 2009 8:45 PM update
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 10:15 PM
  • HI Diana-

Sorry for the short delay.  I'll look at this tomorrow/wednesday and get back to you.  Looks like it has something to do with your profile for sure.  I'll ping you in email if I need anything.

Thanks-
    Alicia

Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:08 AM
  • Hi Alicia,
    Thanks.
    Diana, Microsoft Partner
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:11 AM
  • Update:

Both Partners and Bing Community is straight. I have access to admin and moderators areas with correct permissions for djartsinc@live.com  However, The permissions for MSDN and Microsoft community forum brands have not changed. They are still on djartsinc@msn.com. I need permissions transfered to djartsinc@live.com for mod areas in these 2 forum brands. I sent a couple emails to alicia, but am not sure if she recieved them, because of no responce. Please update.

Also, my alerts are working fine now. just need all permissions for msdn and microsoft forums transfered to djartsinc@live.com
    Diana, Microsoft Partner
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 4:46 AM
  • Hi Diana,

I'll follow-up with Alicia on this. She does a good job of following up with Forum Owners for moderator access rights.

THanks.
    Forums Test Lead
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 12:00 PM
  • Hi Don,

Thanks
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Just pinged her on this.

Thanks.
    Forums Test Lead
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Hi Don,

Thanks
    Diana, Microsoft Partner
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:28 AM
  • Hi Alicia,

I am so sorry, I found your email you sent me almost a month ago requesting my new email profile. I acidently moved it to another folder. I replyed to it with my new email address EMAIL REMOVED (Diana Jean) and a list of the forum mod permissions that I need transfered to the new profile. I already have access to admin and mod area in bing search dev. and my control pannel. all the others on the lst still need to be transfered.

Thanks,
    Diana

Diana, Microsoft Partner
    Monday, September 21, 2009 12:00 PM