Vista RC2 Key From Beta Program Wont work on RTM RRS feed

• Question

• I was part of the Vista Beta program and have a license key for Vista Beta.

I installed Vista RTM without a key back in December; the problem is today the computer is saying it needs a valid key.

To solve this I entered my Vista Beta key, and it says its invalid.

Does anyone know why this is? I desperatly need a key to extend my copy of vista until January 30th when the product becomes available; until then I'm dead in the water.

Thanks

Monday, January 8, 2007 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

Beta keys won't work with RTM builds of Vista, and as you said Vista RTM will only be available at the end of this month, so there are no keys available yet for non-volume customers.  Your best bet is to reinstall your beta version until Vista is out in a few weeks. 

Monday, January 8, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Michael:

Yup, in limited activation mode, they will still have 100% access to their data. They have limited internet/overall PC usage, however.

-phil

Monday, January 8, 2007 8:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Beta keys won't work with RTM builds of Vista, and as you said Vista RTM will only be available at the end of this month, so there are no keys available yet for non-volume customers.  Your best bet is to reinstall your beta version until Vista is out in a few weeks. 

Monday, January 8, 2007 7:17 PM
  • Ok, but before I do that, how will I backup the user's data on the computer? (FYI i've not seen the computer directly, all I've done is talked over the phone with the user). Can they still access their information in a limited mode?

Michael Linn

Monday, January 8, 2007 7:21 PM
  • Michael:

Yup, in limited activation mode, they will still have 100% access to their data. They have limited internet/overall PC usage, however.

-phil

Monday, January 8, 2007 8:16 PM