Re-installation of Windows XP Professional 1 - 2CPU RRS feed

• Question

• I have computer with COA for Windows XP Professional 1 - 2CPU but the hard drive crashed so no other information is available. Now according to advise derived from this forum ...This license is mine ...right? Since isticker is affixed to what is now considered "my computer". If I have this correct then I should have no problem validating the Window Pro that I install ..right? Now the problem is this I do not have the original disk, I assume that it was pre-installed but I'll never truely know. So as advise from previous question posted in here I when to obtain license or tranfer of said license I was advised that it was COA invalid. I don't know what this means! Clearly This was valid XP installation before the crash as no problems were posed in downloading the otherwise necessary "validation required" every time it rebooted or downloaded from microsoft update. I have another hard drive for replacement in this computer but only the COA sticker on the machine. I have in my possesion a system builders installation with it own COA. I don't wish to replace the COA on machine already in ownership by me. I wish You could advise me about how I proceed to make an installation of XP and validate under the COA on this machine. No CD came with this machine as it was custom made as I assume is indentified by the COA tag.  I have not seen any posting or referral for COA containing "Windows XP Professional 1 - 2CPU". Is their re-installation or validating or COA issues somewhere in these forum or from Microsoft? I believe I'm within legal bounds to install Win XP and activate it on this machine as in EULA guidelines ...am I right?
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 1:21 PM

Answers

• Hello PGJK,

Here is your situation as I understand it:

Your computer, that has a CoA for XP Pro affixed to it, crashed, and you would like to replace the hard disk drive and do a clean installation of XP Pro to the computer after replacing the hard disk drive.  The CoA on this computer has "Windows XP Professional 1-2 CPU" on the top line.

You do not have a Windows installation CD for this particular computer.

You do have a separate and unused Windows XP Pro OEM license kit (genuine hologrammed Microsoft CD plus a CoA).

You would like to know if you can use the CD from the unused licensing kit to install Windows XP Pro onto the crahsed computer.

The answer is Yes you can, provided that both of the CoAs have "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" on the second line of the CoA.  If not, post back for more advice.

Using the CD from the licensing kit, insert it into the repaired computer and restart.  When Setup asks you for the product key, use the product key printed on the CoA on the computer that crashed, and do not use the product key on the unused licensing kit.  Finish setup normally.  When you are ready, activate online and go to www.microsoft.com/genuine to Validate Windows.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:13 PM

All replies

• Try the following: How to Replacing Missing Microsoft Software

This website is to be used by End Users to acquire replacement media in the event that Microsoft software CD(s) originally purchased through a System Builder is defective, damaged on receipt or during installation, or misplaced.

Carey Frisch
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 4:25 PM
  • Hello PGJK,

Here is your situation as I understand it:

Your computer, that has a CoA for XP Pro affixed to it, crashed, and you would like to replace the hard disk drive and do a clean installation of XP Pro to the computer after replacing the hard disk drive.  The CoA on this computer has "Windows XP Professional 1-2 CPU" on the top line.

You do not have a Windows installation CD for this particular computer.

You do have a separate and unused Windows XP Pro OEM license kit (genuine hologrammed Microsoft CD plus a CoA).

You would like to know if you can use the CD from the unused licensing kit to install Windows XP Pro onto the crahsed computer.

The answer is Yes you can, provided that both of the CoAs have "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" on the second line of the CoA.  If not, post back for more advice.

Using the CD from the licensing kit, insert it into the repaired computer and restart.  When Setup asks you for the product key, use the product key printed on the CoA on the computer that crashed, and do not use the product key on the unused licensing kit.  Finish setup normally.  When you are ready, activate online and go to www.microsoft.com/genuine to Validate Windows.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Thanks Carey ...I've already been to the first link ...NO HELP ...I need the Product ID to to get farther on that link. The second link is an ERROR page which is of no use to me (with/without cookies enabled).

As I noted above I have crashed hard drive so link #1 is out of the question. This machine has a 4.3 Ghz processor in it & fairly new so had I know this was going to happen ...Yes, I would have had that information written down somewhere but sadly I didn't get around to that. Since computer, itself is not that old I didn't expect this occurence until much, much later :) ...Plus if I could gain any access to the drive at all I wouldn't have this problem ...as a simple back up of the "oobe" files would have sufficed until my solid solution arrived. Like a new replacement CD which would change everything ...NEW sticker & whatnot!
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Dan,

1) Yes!
    2) Maybe ...I explained I do have System builder Windows XP Pro OEM license kit however its currently in use.
    3) No!!!
    4) The answer is Yes! ,,,and yes Yes, they both will have CoA stickers that have "OEM Software" on the second line of the CoA, however they will now have two distinct Product Key #'s on 2 seperate computers. You see my problem is that I don't want to invalidate one XP installation whilst validating the other XP installation.

As I stated to Carey I will be replacing the CD for the crashed computer as soon as I'm sure that nothing-at-all else is wrong on it. I realize that if their is much more to this crashing, I will probably be outta luck with that CoA license anyway? ...and be back where I started having to get a new CD & license anyway.

If I'm stuck with the later I wiill probably establish transfer of my present licensing ...and bury old dinosaur ...or put LINUX on it or something (probably will run better with less demand of it's resources)

SO will what You propose still work with what You recommend me to do???????? See my quandry :)

Slightly off topic but have You every seen or heard of "Windows XP Professional 1 - 2CPU / OEM Software" on a sticker or "OEM license kit" before I never have ... if so is this what I ask for in my replacement CD???
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Hello PGJK,

Actually, it is not important whether the other XP license kit (the CD and the CoA) are already used or unused, you can still use the CD to install XP Pro on the computer that will have the replaced hard disk drive.

As far as Windows licensing and activation/validation go, it's immaterial whether any given CD has been used once, twice or a hundred times to install Windows on one or a hundred different computers.  The uniquness of the license comes from the CoA and the PK.  The important thing is just what you wrote, "however they will now have two distinct Product Key #'s on 2 seperate computers."  That would be 100% genuine and good-to-go, and having it that way will not invalidate any other insrallations because they each have their own unique product key.

The CoAs with "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" on them are a systembuilder/small manufacturer type of OEM license.  The other type of OEM license is the Royalty license, and that kind of CoA has the computer manufacturer's name on the CoA, usually the big computer makers like Dell, Acer, Sony, HP, Lenovo, etc etc.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Dan,

Excellent news, thanks!!! So will I need anything else such as, the Windows Genuine Validation kit  in order to validate this new installation on the new drive or the Product Key Tool to change the actual KEY after installation???

...And must I take this one offline in order to not have conflict with validation check stage???

Since this one is presently activated and aslo online!!! ..I'm just trying to be clear on this ...problem of "my computer" which I am communicating with You on presently ...has the System Builder's XP installed on it and as instructed will be installed & used with the crashed computer's CoA ...is this correct???

Like I said I don't want to mess things up ...lol
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Hello PGJK,

Here are the steps to follow:

1.  Install the new HDD into the crashed computer.

2.  Use the genuine hologrammed XP Pro CD that you have to start the computer into Windows Setup.

3.  Follow along Windows setup normally.

4.  When you get the point in Setup where you enter the Product Key, enter the Product Key that is on the crashed computer's CoA.

5.  Finish setup normally.

6.  Before you connect to the internet, if your XP CD is SP1 or earlier, be sure that the Windows Firewall is up and running (the Windows Firewall is set to be active in SP2 and later).  The new XP Pro installation should activate online normally.

7.  After activation, restart and visit www.microsoft.com/genuine to Validate.  The new XP Pro installation should validate normally.

8.  You have not affected in any way whatsoever the existing XP Pro installation on your other computer, since you did not use that computer's Product Key.

9.  Come back here to let us kow how you did :-)
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:59 PM